Author Topic: Making Ammonium Nitrate  (Read 3173 times)

PrimoPyro

Re: Making Ammonium Nitrate
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2002, 08:49:00 PM »
It also hasn't been done in a long time.

The Water Will Be Your Only Mirror

Rhodium

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2002, 09:20:00 PM »

Osmium

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2002, 11:48:00 PM »
Oppau, (Germany), September 21, 1921.
The BASF plant at Oppau was manufacturing Mischsaltz, a 50/50 mixture of ammonium sulfate and ammonium nitrate. This fertilizer tends to cake like conventional ammonitrates. Standard practice at the plant was to break these heaps into manageable blocks, using explosives. At the time of the catastrophe, this had been done more than 20,000 times. The storage involved that day contained 4,500 tons of fertilizer (it was estimated that only about 450 tons exploded). It is assumed that the last cartridge exploded in a region of the mass where the density was lower than usual (because of recent changes in the production) and where the ammonium nitrate concentration in the Mischsaltz was higher than average. The important influence of these changes on the sensitivity of the product had not been realized. It was shown later that the sensitivity of Mischsaltz to explosion trigger increases rapidly with increasing ammonium nitrate concentration. This fact also explains why only part of the storage exploded. The catastrophe made 500 deaths.

http://www.sfc.fr/Guiochon%20VO/exinvolontaireVO.htm

And to scare you all a little more, AN can even detonate when dissolved in water (a 83% solution in this case):

http://www.uneptie.org/pc/apell/disasters/toulouse/other_accidents.htm

http://www.epa.gov/swercepp/pubs/terrasum.html

And that's the latest known big accident involving AN, on 9-21-2001:
(some people thought it was a terrorist attack)

http://www.uneptie.org/pc/apell/disasters/toulouse/

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

PrimoPyro

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2002, 03:36:00 AM »
And what kind of massive shockwave must be passed through the water solution to get that to detonate might I ask?

pROcon

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2002, 05:47:00 AM »
I'm thinking all us naughty bastards have the same background, ill bet you all printed out your copies of the terrorist handbook and cookbook on your noisy ricketty dot matrix back in the day, just in case the floppy disk you hocked it off the kid at school with the net (who told you it was a government secret) distributed it on had a CRC or your HD crashed. Having full intentions of producing the plastic explosives described in your garage "carefully", then only to remember you were too CHICKENsHIT to go to the store and purchase the materials required, nor could your allowance accomodate more than the 250gm pack of twisties you also required.

pROcon  :)

don't call me...I wont answer, or call you back.

PrimoPyro

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2002, 11:54:00 AM »
Oh my fucking jesus christ!

I can't believe it. You just literally described me word for fucking word when I was 13. That was my introduction to chemistry. In the back of the te**o*ists handbook, where they have the pyrochemical equations, was the first time I ever saw chemical shorthand.  ;D

Oh god, the memories. How the FUCK did you know about that? Who the hell are you?  ::)

PrimoPyro

Osmium

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2002, 12:25:00 PM »
There was no internet when Os blew up his first trashcan.
But Os literally read every chapter 24 (27?) of nearly ALL Chemical Abstracts editions (from 1920 to about 1990), the ones about propellants, explosives and fire extinguishing compositions. Lots of good shit in there, but it took me almost a year  ;D  
No terrorist handbook for me, thank you  :P

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

Elementary

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2002, 01:10:00 PM »
Poor Little Froggies

Research has shown that Ammonium Nitrate (a fertilizer) can cause agonizing death for frogs. This fertilizer is spread on fields in the spring when frogs are migrating. Frogs suffer a massive toxic attack if they come in contact with it.

UK Availability

Ammonium nitrate can be found on it's own as a fertiliser or sold in chalk coated pellets, the two substances can be seperated by their solubilites. There are strict controls on the sale of Ammonium Nitrate in Northern Ireland (I wonder why !).

Use in mining

(pure AM is white this has additives and is used for mining)

Umm, how interesting !!

Rhodium

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2002, 01:25:00 AM »
Os: As a small matter of coincidence, I have also browsed the whole printed version of CA in search of explosives (oh, I long SO for the day when every page of CA, Gmelin, Beilstein and all the primary literature is available as PDF (or whatever the preferred format will be at that date) connected to a supercomputer powered search engine...

It would not be too bad to synchronize that database with SynGen, to make it really perfect  :)

PrimoPyro

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2002, 04:55:00 AM »
Have you been reading my mail?  ::)

Rhodium

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2002, 05:52:00 AM »
Yes (your mails to me, that is), but I can wait for that killer app/database until it happens by itself, instead of doing the archiving myself.