Author Topic: Amalgam or NaBH4 ?  (Read 2258 times)

pooky

Amalgam or NaBH4 ?
« on: July 05, 2003, 07:28:00 PM »
P just wants to have one success,and then to throw a huge party with free goodies-tested first,naturally.What has the best rate of success for a newbee,amalgam or the borohydride reduction?Sourcing supplies is not a problem,and have double distilled the ketone and have perfect MeNH2 by reading  through the Hive and Rhodium's page,with many thanks to LaBTop.Both methods have their good and bad points...anybody with a quick tip?Thanks in advance for your help.

raffike

certainly borohydride.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 08:47:00 PM »
certainly borohydride.

rudebwoy

ehm
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2003, 12:17:00 AM »
as a newb myself. 
Trying both rxns.

I found that I learned a lot of basics in almagating.  Techniques mostly and general understanding of what to do and why to do it. 

So I think just for the sheer practice of diff techniques I would recommend the amalgation method.

Zero_To_Nine

NaBH4!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 01:36:00 AM »
There is nothing easier than a reduction with NaBH4. If you have MDP2P, a good fridge or freezer, IPA and a solution of MeNH2 in alcohol you will get high yields and a relative clean product. The important thing to remember is that the cooler you keep the reaction, the less MDP2Pol will be formed. I have obtained yields up to 90% with this method...

terbium

Borohydride
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 10:48:00 PM »
If you got it, is far easier and better yielding.