Author Topic: Codeine extraction from soluble tablets  (Read 1847 times)

Gravimetric

Codeine extraction from soluble tablets
« on: July 05, 2004, 01:13:00 PM »
I UTFSE but to no avail WRT soluble tablets. Its a very basic question, even for the "Newbee forum"....

Having read

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/codeine.chromic.html

the process of seperating codeine and caffeine seems pretty simplistic. However, due to "ease of procurement", I am thinking of using tablets which are soluble. They contain 500mg paracetamol, 30mg caffeine and 8mg codeine each. The scale would be involving 3~5g of codeine, so several hundred tablets.
Would just using a smaller amount of water be enough, to prevent whatever mechanism they use to dissolve the paracetamol from working, or would there be need for a more complex extraction, such as the acid/base method talked of here :

Post 499961

(BieneMaya: "have a look at this", Chemicals & Equipment)
I've done CWE before but not on soluble tablets. If push comes to shove I can use the non-soluble brands but they come in smaller quantities, so more hassle getting enough packets to be practical.

BieneMaya

research
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »
Here you will find your answer....

http://codeine.50g.com/info/extraction.html

Gravimetric

Hmm....seems it doesn't give a method but...
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 01:55:00 PM »
Hmm....seems it doesn't give a method but rather "Don't bother with dissolvable tablets" :(

To make things simpler I'll just go with non-soluble tablets which removes the problem of caffeine too. Just got get some Sodium Carbonate to do the chloroform extraction to get a decent yield. It'll be fiddly enough with all those tablets.

JewishNazi

expected yeilds
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 08:54:00 PM »
gday, im hoping to do the same thing in a couple of days. I recently aquired 200 - 8mg codeine phosphate tablets for AUS$28.60. Is that a good price and what yields i should expect