Author Topic: Screwed? (peanut oil + ketone) -ecsphile  (Read 2744 times)

dormouse

Screwed? (peanut oil + ketone) -ecsphile
« on: April 21, 2000, 05:59:00 AM »

the Hive BB
  Novel Discourse
  Screwed? (peanut oil + ketone)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic 
Author  Topic:   Screwed? (peanut oil + ketone) 
ecsphile
Junior Member   posted 08-14-98 06:14 AM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone had problems distilling a certain favorite ketone and didn't want to overheat it. This person's vac. pump hasn't arrived yet so an aspirator has been running for days! (damn) Nothing would come over (not enough heat applied?) so a peanut oil bath was tried. Unfortunately the crap magnet in the stirplate wasn't strong enough to send it's field though the oil bath and glass to reach the stirbar and there was no stirring. This idea was ditched. 100ml of peanut oil was mixed with under 100ml of ketone and top plate heat is in the high 200's (deg C) and still nothing. Did this person fuck up his deep red residue by mixing it with the peanut oil?

drone 342
Member   posted 08-14-98 08:27 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As much as I dislike it, I'd recomend a bisulfite extraction in this case. It's gonna suck, but at least you'll get you're ketone back.
Now the interesting thing here is the magnetic stir bar having problems. Barring peanut oil having much for ferromagnetic properties, it sounds like what's needed here is simply a better magnet. Either that, or you've heated your poor magnet past its Curie number, and its toasted. Wierd, wierd, wierd.

-drone #342

ecsphile
Junior Member   posted 08-15-98 05:59 AM          
Was this a bad idea then? What about with 'alkenes? I don't think I'll get the ketone back and it wouldn't be worth it. It looks like solid tar!
I think the stir bar had probs because it was too far away because of the thickness of the bath pan combined with the thickness of the flat bottom of the flask. Initially, it was the thickness of the tar!

What temp, distance from flask to condenser (obviously as short as possible) and vac would be recommended for ketone dist?

All times are CT (US)
 next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
    Hop to: Select a Forum or ArchiveList of Forums:General DiscussionAcquisition DiscourseChemistry DiscourseMethods DiscourseNovel DiscourseCrystal MethSerious Chemistry ForumThe Hive CouchSerious Tryptamine DiscourseAdmin Chill-out TentList of Archives:Couch ArchivesClassics!Law and OrderThe litter box.misc. PEAs  

Contact Us | the Hive