Author Topic: Grandmother has trouble with her seperatory funnel  (Read 2017 times)

SANTA

Grandmother has trouble with her seperatory funnel
« on: February 20, 2003, 10:21:00 AM »

geezmeister

The real thing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 11:10:00 AM »
Coke.

thallium

Try heating it under hot tap water; that might
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 11:10:00 AM »
Try heating it under hot tap water; that might help :)

wolfx

Next time.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 01:10:00 PM »
Next time use some silicone grease.

gottagogo

coke is right
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 06:44:00 PM »
soak it for 24 hours in fizzy cola of your choice.

SANTA

I'm a decendant of the pepsi generation
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 07:42:00 PM »
Golly gee beave, i tried hot water and soaked her but in
sulfuric acid with no results.
what about phosphuric acid? I'll try the pepsi.Diet pepsi with no sugar, maybe.I've tried the POWERFUL SEARCH 9volt engine,but i'll throw it some new words

beleive in santa claws

SANTA

silicon is a great idea...
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2003, 08:26:00 PM »
I never dreamed that the glass pitcock would freeze up, stuck in the flow or open position on the sep. funnel. I'll try anything to get that sticky valve to open and shut like it is supose to do. Silicon will work on maintenace,i'm sure.I just need something now to unstick and open it up.

LoW_JacK

hey fat man,,,
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2003, 10:04:00 PM »

Yo ho ho! It's petcock , not pitcock.
You knew that though, I can tell.

Also, have you ever noticed that S-A-N-T-A and S-A-T-A-N
have the same letters?  Conspire with me.

calcium

Try heating it...
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2003, 05:48:00 AM »
I bought a used manometer that was stuck, frozen, completely immobile. One glass blower recommended putting it in the freezer. I tried it, it didn't work. I also tried heating in an alcohol flame and that didn't work. I finally brought it to a glass blower who got it unstuck in one minute flat. He heated it in a flame and gave it a knock with a wooden stick. He said the trick was to heat the outer joint quickly so it would expand, while the inner joint was still cool, then give a quick tap with a stick. He didn't even charge me to do it! I would try cola, the freezer and heating... and then bring it to a professional before you break it and need to have it repaired.

mellow

Have you already tried WD 40?
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2003, 11:38:00 AM »
Go to the hardware store and get some WD 40. Spray it. Wait 5 minutes. Try gently but firmly moving the stop-cock. If it doesn't move try again after an hour, then try again after a day. While you're at the hardware store remember to pick up that silicone grease.