Author Topic: SnCl4  (Read 1962 times)

Midi

SnCl4
« on: October 25, 2003, 09:15:00 PM »
Can someone give a detailed method on transfering this chemical from point A to B, point A being a large container, point B being a smaller 50ml flask w/stopper.

I attempted to do this, and it was very hard to tell how much was being poured out of bottle as a shit load of what smelled like hcl gas came out of the mother bottle, making it hard to judge amounts.

I suspect about 20ml's made it in there before I had to vacate the area due to the gas this chem released. When I put the capo back on the mother bottle it fumed for a minute or two with the cap on tight!! It was not flushed with nitrogen as none was around at the time.

Will this cause problems when I go to reopen the mother bottle? The work space had been purged of moisture with a heavy duty dehumidifier, but that didn't seem to stop the fumes from being released from the liquid. Would this stuff fume in 0% humidity?

Most importantly, and my biggest concern is the mother bottle not being purged with N2 before caping it back up for storage. Will the small amount of o2/moisture that may have been in the air and may have made it's way into the mother bottle (95% full) react with the SnCl4 being stored in it?  If so, will it just react till the moisture is consumed?

Is a fume hood needed to perform small 1-10 ml SnCl4 rxn's safely? I know it's preffered, but is it necessary?

Lastly, what are those fumes? It smelled identical to hcl gas, but way more concentrated. I may have inhaled a small amount, but im alive and typing!  :)

First time SnCl4 user,
Midi

stratosphere

was the humidty high?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 10:13:00 PM »
was the humidty high?
i can't think of what else would cause SnCl4 to give off HCl fumes.

maybe try chilling it to 0C next time, that should slow down the decomposition.

Midi

ahh
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 10:39:00 PM »
Good idea! The SnCl4 was room temp at the time it was opened. I don'have a means to measure humidity but I suspect I should find a way.  :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

Midi

Very Nice
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 01:44:00 AM »
Upon chilling the SnCl4, it was way more easy to work with, and produced no fumes when left uncapped.  :)

Swim is so happy he could ejaculate on command! Thanks Strat.  8)

Rhodium

tin(IV)chloride smokescreen
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 02:02:00 AM »
If so, will it just react till the moisture is consumed?

Yes, and you will probably end up with some SnOCl2 or similar as a precipitate in the bottle. Don't worry about that though.

When tin(IV)chloride reacts with atmospherical moisture, it decomposes to gaseous hydrogen chloride and solid tin oxide:

SnCl4+ 2 H2O -> 4 HCl(g) + SnO2 (both will be visible as white smoke)

stratosphere

glad i could be of assistance.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 09:57:00 PM »