Author Topic: No HCI Gas At All  (Read 4027 times)

pseudaus

No HCI Gas At All
« on: January 23, 2003, 02:51:00 AM »
Swim just had Dream involving using the getto HCI gas beer bottle setup for the first time was very careful, mixed about 1 inch from the bottom of 33% Sulfuric Acid and dripped in from attatrched tube dropper 10ml of i think its 100% Hydrocloric Acid and nothing happened no gas at all?

BlingBling

I doubt you have 100% hcl acid..
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2003, 03:01:00 AM »
I doubt you have 100% hcl acid..

In fact, you may not even have hcl acid, (or sulfuric) for if you did, you would know, as both in conjunction create a noticable rxn.

pseudaus

?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 03:05:00 AM »
yes i do know that they cause a reaction and that is how the gas is produced both of swims bottles are labled and from the hardware store but the hydrocloric acid is quite old but has been sealed the whole time

BlingBling

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2003, 03:14:00 AM »
"Test the drain cleaner/sulfuric acid by weighing 500 cc. Drain cleaner/sulfuric acid is a heavy dark liquid and 500 cc should weigh between 917 and 920 grams. If 500 cc weighs substantially less than 917g, then it has been diluted with water and cannot be used. Look for a different brand of drain cleaner or obtain commercial-grade sulfuric acid, a non-watched chemical. The specific gravity of sulfuric acid is 1.84. 1000cc weighs 1840g. 500cc weighs 920g."

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/hclgas.argox.html

pseudaus

(Post deleted by pseudaus)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 03:38:00 AM »
(empty)

rail

Battery acid or electrolite is only 5% to 7%.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 04:32:00 AM »
Battery acid or electrolite is only 5% to 7%. To bring up to near 100% place electrolite in pyrex glass, bring to boil, boil until steam becomes white and boiling stops.  Please only do this outdoors.

hypo

bleh...
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2003, 04:34:00 AM »
> i think its 100% Hydrocloric Acid

you think wrong. HCl is a gas. muriatic acid is HCl dissolved in water. maximum obtainable
concentration is 36%; higher and the HCl comes out of solution (at atmospheric pressure)

> the sulfuric is batery acid grade

i mean what did you expect? the reaction lives from the fact that H2SO4 "attaches" to
water much stronger than HCl. if the H2SO4 is already (partly) hydrated, then not much
will happen.

now if you were a newbie, then ok, but you are registered for about 1 year and don't
know the absolute basics. shame on you!

no more lame questions, utfse!

hCiLdOdUeDn

US battery acid
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2003, 06:31:00 AM »
US battery acid is 35% sulfuric acid.

Stonium

Alternatively...
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2003, 07:18:00 PM »
You can leave the HCl out anyway and simply drip concentrated H2SO4 onto salt to generate what ought to be dry enough gas for your purposes...whatever on earth they may be.  8)

wyndowlicker

why?
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2003, 08:54:00 PM »
Hey now,

Just trying to figure out why you whould want to use anything but plain ol' hcl add to a drying agent and you have a very nice HCL gas.The non squeeze bottle isnt a very good idea unless you want it to take an hour.Id recomend using a HDPE plastic wash botte with the curved tappered spout.Attach a length of hosing to the end.Instant gassing device producing yummy white crystals that dont taste like shit.Very nice flavor much like honey!

Wargasm

35% H2SO4 battery acid?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2003, 10:42:00 PM »
HC, are you sure about that?  I thought is was lower.
One thing about battery acid:  If you are using a depleated lead-acid battery, the concentration will be lower than a fully charged one.
If it were I, I would obtain some drain cleaner.
It would be a good thing to use an inline drier as well.  It isn't fun to loose 1/2 your product gassing because you have H2O in your gas.
I would do some more reading before I tried this.  If you don't understand what is happening, you can easily flood the whole room with HCl gas.  Hell, you can have an accident if you do understand it.  No dissrespect intended, it's just gassing can be dangerous.