Author Topic: Swim bought some sassy (for the last time,...  (Read 2862 times)

ApprenticeCook

Swim bought some sassy (for the last time,...
« on: February 25, 2004, 05:05:00 PM »
Swim bought some sassy (for the last time, gettin to hard to find) the other day, got it here and we have a problem.......... swim thinks.......... unlike previous purchases where the oil was yellowish colour, this one is VERY PALE, swim says its clear but a friend says it still has some yellow in it.... but only a tiny bit.

This a problem? swim UTFSE and found a couple of bees saying theres is pale but not as pale as swims.... it still has the odour like normal, potent as hell and when swim spilt ~10mL onto the carpet he regretted it...... Hope swim hasnt come across safrole free sassy....

Sassy is supposed to be yellowish and safrole clear? so swim may just have good safrole content  ::) ??

Osmium

Distill it and you will know.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 01:02:00 AM »
Distill it and you will know.

abolt

Swim has seen brown yellow and clear Sassafras
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »
Swim has seen brown yellow and clear Sassafras oil.

I have a theory, though not a very scientific one, that the darker coloration is related to the amount of Camphor oil in the Sassafras oil.

ApprenticeCook

Camphor..... possible
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »
hmmm, possible, dont know the amounts of other elements in sassy and i wont ask coz swim will get labled utfse... lol

Just an update swim did remove some from the bottle to look (~5mL) and saw no colour, however when swims friend did it he removed like 20mL. When swim removed the amount his friend did yes there was a slight yellow colour, swim was wrong, and it refracts like a motherfucker so its all ok.....

PHEW!

GC_MS

essential oils
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 12:02:00 AM »
If you work with essential oils, it is better to trust your nose than your eyes. Odours are often more specific than colours. Sassafras oil can vary from almost colourless/very pale yellow to brown. However, safrole will always give a specific odour to the oil, and if you have worked with pure safrole before, you will easily recognise the compound in the mixture. In the perfume industry, they employ so-called "noses" that can analyze more than 700 different odours in a perfume mixture. Although this gift is restricted to very few people, you should still be able to detect safrole in your essential oil. Certainly if it forms the most abundantly present substance.

sassypants

color
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 12:12:00 AM »
speaking of variations in the color of sassy oil; SWIM heard about some that is ORANGE. What the hell is going on there?

ApprenticeCook

Swim has been thinking...
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 04:13:00 AM »
Swim has been thinking...  :o  i know its scaring me too....

The oil is the same, but the quality of the process of the extraction ie collection of impurities and other fractions of the plant distillate, clear >> orange is going from least >> most impurities in the oil distillate??  ::)
Or charring the oil slightly may cause the darkening of the oil?

Once again comes down to the quality of the extraction method and not the oil quality itself?

Just a thought...

sassypants

or species
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 12:34:00 AM »
of the sassafras tree used. MSDS for oil of s. albidum states that it is a pale yellow to brown oily liquid. Ocotea cymbarum calls for yellow to RED oil. Although, all those oil suppliers stating that their product is 90% or above of the desired molecule, you'd think the oil would be closer to the clear/pale yellow end of the spectrum. I have seen one suppliers that was stated as 90%+/-2 that was definitly brown, but very transparent, while anothers', claiming 92% +/-1 was bright orange, and almost cloudy, and also weird specks were floating around in it. Both had that characteristic odor, though.
My guess is the appearance is a combo of both the type of plant and oil production technique. (Isn't "chinese sassafras", the really clear stuff that I have yet to dream of,just the safrole that has been distilled off of chinese camphor, with some imputiies? I could be wrong here so don't quote me on it)

Osmium

> Isn't "chinese sassafras", the...
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 01:14:00 AM »
> Isn't "chinese sassafras", the really clear stuff that I have yet
> to dream of,just the safrole that has been distilled off of chinese
> camphor, with some imputiies?

No, the camphor is usually separated by freezing out, and the oil is yellow.

What is sold as 'Sassafras' is a natural product produced from a variety of plant sources. What plant it came from depends on the location the oil was produced in.

Who fucking cares what the smell is like (it might differ considerably, I've had really bad smelling sassy which was 94% safrole) and what it looks like, as long as it contains what you want.

amine

you probably got some good "shit".
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2004, 04:24:00 AM »
you probably got some good "shit".  Generally the more pure stuff ISE (in swims experience) is lighter and smells less nasty. It if smells like safrole, isomerizes and smells like licorich, thats all that matters.

Virulentor

Chinese sassafras
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 02:26:00 PM »
> Isn't "chinese sassafras", the really clear stuff that I have yet
> to dream of,just the safrole that has been distilled off of chinese
> camphor, with some imputiies?

You´re right about the distillation. China is one of the few countries that still produces large quantities of natural camphor. The safrol that is within the camphor oil of Cinnamomum camphora (sometimes up to 80%if I remember well) is obtained by distillation and sold as Chinese sassafras. There are a number of other compounds in camphor oil but I´m not sure whether these will end up in the Chinese sassafras. A good read on this subject is "Study on the chemical constituents of the essential oils and classification of types from Cinnamomum camphora." Acta Botanica Sinica, 1989, pp. 209-214

killabeezwax

latest value
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 10:28:00 PM »
swim ran across chinese sassy that is rated at 95%+ safrole, the oil is quite clear and has that ever fresh smell :)  The oil seems expensive, but the amount seems just right. 32 oz for around $100 shipped.  At 95% safrole content this seems reasonable.

ApprenticeCook

advertised safrole content...
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 05:34:00 AM »
Yeh and walk straight into a pre planned trap....excellent... any place that advertises sassy is suspect but also to advertise the safrole content as being high??? shit... its a carcinogen, why else would a place advertise their products are 95% known carcinogen!?!?

Think about it.....

abolt

AFAIK
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 04:24:00 PM »
It is a "suspected" carcinogen.

EvilMadChemist

i bet you can spell DEA with the letters in...
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2004, 10:54:00 AM »
i bet you can spell DEA with the letters in the name of the company.

sassypants

cost
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 01:58:00 AM »
actually, that cost ($100/ 32oz) seems pretty low, which I would be alarmed by. Usual prices I have seen in the past few months were like 150-175$ for 16 oz.
The safrole content being listed is not such a big deal, I don't think. SWIM has NEVER received an order that didn't come with the safrole content (which has always been in the 90% and up range). And many legitimate suppliers DO tell you the content. Not sure why, maybe they HAVE to since its a suspected carcinogen. (all orders of sassy oil placed by SWIM were for use in soap/candlemaking and other home-scent crafts, of course).
Sometimes, while browsing all of the oil dealers on the web, looking at their info, I have to wonder- some of these places must know EXACTLY what many are ordering their product for. Maybe they just don't care, since they are making a buck too. Possibly, they figure, as long as some are still using it for legitimate purposes, they can't really get into trouble. I have no idea about legal technicalities, if any of that matters, but you've gotta figure SOME of this is true.

Osmium

> actually, that cost ($100/ 32oz) seems...
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2004, 07:21:00 AM »
> actually, that cost ($100/ 32oz) seems pretty low

I disagree.

> Sometimes, while browsing all of the oil dealers on the web,
> looking at their info, I have to wonder- some of these places
> must know EXACTLY what many are ordering their product for.
> Maybe they just don't care, since they are making a buck too.

You bet that they are making a buck since the wholesale price in barrel amounts from the manufacturer in Asia used to be less than $10/kg (not sure what it is right now).

sassypants

re: "low" cost
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2004, 06:55:00 AM »
By "low", I don't mean the cost was "value" low. Just low compared to what most oil dealers are citing on the web right now. And of course they are raping those who are still willing to buy it from them- they are willing to pay since less dealers offering said product.

Sasquatch

what a rip off
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2004, 08:29:00 AM »
There was a nice lady up north who used to do 50$ CAN / kg

And another cool guy down south who sold it much cheaper than this!

This is back in the good old days.

And I remember from somewhere in China, 5$/kg.  It probably still is over there if you got the balls to grab a drum or two.  You might even be able to persuade a company there to send a sample of MD-P2P!

ApprenticeCook

Huh?
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2004, 04:17:00 AM »
Try getting it through customs in any way shape or form.
Granted a small (5mL MAYBE) sample may slip through undetected provided it has no labels eg hazchem. Then again it might be let through only for you to be arrested upon pickup of shedule 1 goods. Your choice....

As for sassafras oil drums, yeh would be good, just got to get it in as a normal shipment to a e/o distrib agent incorrectly labeled, they may not check it if its labeled something which is allowed. Maybe....