Author Topic: TMSCl storage  (Read 2147 times)

psyx7

TMSCl storage
« on: March 31, 2004, 03:13:00 AM »
About half a year ago i got a L of this from a chemical co. It came in a plastic bottle, with a plastic cap of the type which comes sealed to the bottle and breaks on first opening. Anyway, it has been sitting in a box @rt for about half a yr unopened, and i recently noticed it seemed to be leaking some kind of fumes that were causing the labels of nearby bottles to dissolve. Closer investigation showed that it was indeed leaking (HCl i presume?) and on opening i found it had been under pressure hence the leakage. When i looked into the bottle the liquid was actually bubbling moderately vigorously. Also the liquid was a dark purple/black color, which i was not expecting. Is this usual? I have put the lid back on the bottle, but i can see pressure has already built up inside. Is this problem normally associated w/TMSCl? Is it sthng that should be ordered only at the time required? Can anyone suggest how i should store it?

Thanks!  :)
psyx

Elite_Forum

If you haven't done so already, store it in...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 03:21:00 AM »
If you haven't done so already, store it in something else.

Rhodium

chemical vandalism
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 03:08:00 PM »
Is this problem normally associated w/TMSCl?

Yes, very common with compounds with a tendency to give off HCl gas. Other bottles which will deface any nearby labels include oxalyl chloride, dichloromethyl methyl ether, sulfuryl chloride and thionyl chloride. Store such bottles in a cool place with good ventilation. Inside boxes they will sometimes eat holes through the box itself.