Author Topic: HELP!! Al AMALGUM STOPPED  (Read 2513 times)

franzo

HELP!! Al AMALGUM STOPPED
« on: August 17, 2004, 07:46:00 AM »
Swim was running an aluminum amalgum by the book from 3pm-9ish last night.  Found out that swim lost access to chems/vacuum until 8pm the next day.  I placed the reaction contents in the feezer under an argon atmosphere.  Any suggestions, or should i give up.  I used TFSE, but didn't find anything except don't allow the freebase to stand around.  The aluminum and everything is in there.  No processing has begun.

-thanx

franzo

processing the amalgum
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »
Sorry for replying to my own post but it's for TFSE sake.  Yes, don't let the reaction contents sit for 3 days.  the yellow overhead began to take on a light brown color.  from 8.8g ketone i got 3-4 grams product.  I don't know exactly how much because my g/f decieded to do the dishes and i accidentaly set the drying plate a little too close to the sink.  "That dirty salty plate, of coarse i washed it!"  I almost cried, she did.  thanx for following,

-F

biffman

Serves you right.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »
From this experience you can learn to...
1. Do your own dishes.
2. Separate your work.
3. Pay more attention.
4. Be single.
5. Educate your girlfriend (or yourself).

EvilMadChemist

and label everything.....
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 06:55:00 PM »
and label everything..... even evaporating dishes.

franzo

bad example
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 06:20:00 PM »
This is also a good example of how being thorough pays off.  99% of the time i label with NFPA code and everything.  I have seperate rooms for chems and food.  If for any reason i need to use the kitchen, everything is scrubed before and after.  The girlfriend normaly knows to some degree what is "science," and what is not.  So for all you fellow newbees out there, unless you are on the verge of being arrested, do you really have to be in that much of a hurry?  I am still working on this, years later.  Have faith i guess, patience will come.

ApprenticeCook

wtf?
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 05:46:00 AM »
so your girlfriend washed a dish of product down the drain?

shit........ that sucks.
Well tell her she owes you the amount $$ or in several weeks of non-stop oral sex. Her choice.

-AC