Author Topic: ebook: Designing Organic Syntheses  (Read 20939 times)

memeep

ebook: Designing Organic Syntheses
« on: October 19, 2004, 12:08:00 AM »
Designing Organic Syntheses: A Programmed Introduction to the Synthon Approach

This programmed book aims to teach students to design organic syntheses for themselves. Almost all available books on synthesis describe methods and syntheses already carried out by others. This book confronts the student with the problem of synthesizing molecules given nothing but their structure. The synthon approach is used: disconnections breaking the molecule into useable fragments (synthons) are introduced to the student who then teaches himself how to use them by solving a series of problems of steadily increasing difficulty. Though the book has the form of a programme it is not a conventional programmed text. There are no multiple choice questions. Instead, the student has a planned sequence of problems designed to demonstrate the use of each new concept and to test his understanding of it. Each problem is followed by possible solutions and full explanations, so that if the student fails to solve a problem he will still understand the answer better for having attempted the problem himself. The student therefore has the possibility of continuous self-assessment through the use of a large number of problems.

Captain_America

Great!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 12:35:00 AM »
I have had the chance a while ago to rent another excellent book from this author;

It was a great read and if somebee could it should bee made available as (be)e-book...

Damn, so many great books have been posted at the hive lately, i'll never study to the exam  ::)

The above, Syke's Guidebook to mechanism in org. chem, Vogel's third and possibly March are the titles every bee should save money and get, used of course...

java

Advanced Organic Reactions
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 05:53:00 AM »
I thought these might fit nicely with this text as a review and also as a reminder with references of some more advanced reactions.......java

lugh

Organic Synthesis: The Disconnection Approach
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 08:33:00 AM »
The requested book, one of if not the best on retrosynthesis, Stuart Warren's Organic Synthesis: The Disconnection Approach

8)

moo

Thank you!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 07:48:00 PM »

java

The Logic of Chemical Synthesis (Corey & Cheng)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 10:49:00 PM »
The Logic of Chemical Synthesis
E. J. Corey and Xue-Min Cheng
John Wiley & Sons 1989, 436 pgs.

Preface
The title of this three-part volume derives from a key theme of the book- the logic underling the rational analysis of complex synthetic problems. Although the book deals almost exclusively with molecules of biological origin, which are ideal for developing the fundamental ideas of multistep synthetic design because of their architectural complexity and variety, the approach taken is fully applicable to others types of carbon structures.

Note Moderator, there isn't a way to check what books have already been uploaded. With journal articles the dates are useful but with books ther isn't a way that I can find to check if the books have been posted........so with that said and having searched for the title I post this............java

Captain_America

Wanted..
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 02:12:00 AM »
It would bee phantastic if some busy bee could take time to scan and post Chemistry of the most importnant group there is.  :)

Chemistry of the Carbonyl Group
by Stuart Warren
128 pages

lugh

Workbook for the Disconnection Approach
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 08:11:00 PM »
The companion volume to

Post 537092

(lugh: "Organic Synthesis: The Disconnection Approach", Chemistry Discourse)
; Workbook for Organic Synthesis: The Disconnection Approach by Stuart Warren:

8)

Nicodem

Guidebook to Mechanism in Organic Chemistry
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 05:51:00 PM »
This is for all those bees that would like to know how reactions occur, what makes them possible and what prevents them. Therefore, from now on, before you speculate on reaction mechanism or post questions about it you can check this book and you might find the answer you are looking for (even without going to the library, but please go there anyway as it doesn’t hurts ;) ). This book should be a “must read” for every student of organic chemistry.
This non OCR-ed version is 5MB big (and I’m sure it’s worth the server space :P ).

Guidebook to Mechanism in Organic Chemistry
(6th Edition)

Peter Sykes (1986)
Essex: Longman Scientific & Technical
416 pages

Well, this is one of those anthem reviews on the back cover, but since I fully agree with it...

'Sykes' remains the bible ofmechanistic organic chemistryfor thousands of undergraduates, and there is certainly no English language publication of which I am aware which comes even close to challenging it in terms of clarity and coverage;...
will undoubtedly remain the recommended text on this subject

Contents

1. Structure, Reactivity, and Mechanism

2. Energetics, Kinetics, and the Investigation of Mechanism

3. The Strengths of Acids and Bases

4. Nucleophilic Substitution at a Saturated Carbon Atom

5. Carbocations, Electron-Deficient N and O Atoms and their Reactions

6. Electrophilic and Nucleophilic Substitutionin Aromatic Systems

7. Electrophilic and Nucleophilic Addition in C=C

8. Nucleophilic Addition to C=O

9. Elimination Reactions

10. Carbanions and Their Reactions

11. Radicals and their Reactions

12. Symmetry Controlled Reactions

13. Linear Free Energy Relationships

Captain_America

Sykes
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 07:31:00 PM »
Well, this is one of those anthem reviews on the back cover, but since I fully agree with it..

And one more quote from the back-cover:

"To ask anyone concearned with chemical education to review this book of Peter Sykes is rather like asking a literary reviewer to give his opinion of the works of William Shakespeare... it has established itself as a classic."

-Chemistry and Industy

Thanks for scanning it Nicodem, I'm sure many bees will appreciate it very much, I got it some weeks a go myself and what a masterpiece... But if you have exams in boring subjects, don't download it yet, you will find every excuse to read it.

java

Pharmacokinetics and Metabolism in Drug Design
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 06:30:00 PM »
Pharmacokinetics and Metabolism in Drug Design
D. A. Smith, H. van de Waterbeemd, D. K. Walker, R. Mannhold, H. Kubinyi, H.Timmerman
2001 Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH

Excerp from Preface......The present volume of the series Methods and Principles in Medicinal Chemistry focuses on the impact of pharmacokinetics and metabolism in Drug Design. Pharmacokinetics is the study of the kinetics of absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion of drugs and their pharmacologic, therapeutic, or toxic response in animals and man.