Author Topic: Shard Size - Psuedo vs. L-Ephed.  (Read 2404 times)

borolithium

Shard Size - Psuedo vs. L-Ephed.
« on: June 02, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »
Most of the guys I know that dream about big, clear, glass shards are using the RP, with small amounts of l-ephed, probably from China or India. Although I occasionally hear of someone who has some pfed, I have been told that the pfed product does not crystallize the same way as the l-ephed and not to bother with it.

Now I know that pfed does form crystals, as I've read numerous posts where other Bee's have successfully produced them, but my question is, are they the same as the much desired l-ephed ones? (I could find this out for myself but I hate grinding pills)

The l-ephedrine product is often a clear crystal about the size of a cigarette. Do psuedo shards come out as big?

Now I know this might seem like a stupid question, but the birch reduction has similiar issues. There will always be at least a slight amount of over-reduced product, which is likely why the birch often comes out as talcum powder or smaller, cube like crystals, as opposed to long needles. ::)

jackhole

it all depends
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »
It all depends man, on how the d-pseudoephedrine/l-ephedrine was extracted (if at all), how well/long a recrystallization(s) was/were performed using solvent(s) A and/or B and/or C, etc. The question you're asking serves no practical purpose anyway. Both products as the hydrochloride salts possess crystal lattices that both can be taken up in an infinite combination of solvent types and amounts and recrystallized in an infinite combination of recrystallization environments and parameters to afford crystals of virtually any size (in theory). So, to answer your question, the answer is neither yes nor no. It all depends, and crystal size doesn't mean shit in regards to purity or verification of a given compound.

And one more thing: just because someone uses rP in their reaction doesn't mean that there's a better likelihood that the outcome will be large, glassy meth crystals. If the crystal size varies in different reactions, that just means the dope makers aren't doing a good enough job, because manufacturing process is irrelevant to crystal size if it's performed correctly. Meth has its own crystal lattice that forms transparent crystals with white streaks spreading throughout. If crystal size varies, it means there's shit in there that indicates the cook isn't doing a good enough job (as is the case with 99%+ of 'em, I'm certain). Over and out.