Author Topic: How to methylate alcohols (BOX series)?  (Read 1866 times)

dennis_pro

How to methylate alcohols (BOX series)?
« on: March 15, 2002, 06:19:00 AM »
Hi, folks. I want to make some Shulgin's BOX-series substances. I have 2,5-dimethoxyphenylaminoethanol, prepared from Midodrine. How to methylate OH-group in this substance to produce 2,5,b-trimethoxyphenylethylamine?

And as alternative, how to reduct 2,5-dimethoxyphenylaminoethanol to produce 2C-H? J2 with phosphorus will ruin methoxy groups :(

Thanks.

With best regards,
Dennis Prochko

Antoncho

Re: How to methylate alcohols (BOX series)?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2002, 07:07:00 AM »
Hey, Volk ;)  This has been just recently discussed in the Novel Discourse - i think the thread just went down, it was called "Midodrine: an easy 3-step way to 2C-B" - go ahead, read it.

I also asked the question about methylation of alcohols - but, i'm sorry to say that, no one bothered to reply. :(  :(  Maybee someone will answer your post :) ...

My congartulations on your joining The Hive - i promise, you're going to like this place!

Antoncho

P.S. Can i take your PGP-key and put it into the proper section of our forum? If you don't mind...

Rhodium

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2002, 03:57:00 PM »
Shulgin's way of making the beta-alkoxy compounds is to add a sodium alkoxide to the corresponding nitrostyrene. Any alkylation that would alkylate an amino-alcohol would also alkylate the nitrogen.

Antoncho

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2002, 09:27:00 AM »
Yeah, but in Midodrine the aminogroup is protected w/the amide function! So it shouldn't bee easily methylatable...

I can't believe noone on this board knows a single freaking way to methylate an aliphatic hydroxy! :o  Hey, dear chemists, can you lend us a hand? Please?

Antoncho