Author Topic: Substitutions for toluene/naphtha in tetra trap  (Read 2905 times)

auntyjack

Substitutions for toluene/naphtha in tetra trap
« on: November 18, 2003, 09:52:00 AM »
does anyone know if it is possible to use xylene or any other solvent in place of toluene/naphtha in the tetra trap(you would think someone would have said something if it were possible but you never know)....at the moment swiaj can easily obtain xylene whilst toluene requires him to actually front up at a chem. company and they don't like long hairs...anyhow...keep it gripped...bye for now

Un_Chambered

swim has used xylene in place of tolly for...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 04:15:00 PM »
swim has used xylene in place of tolly for this procedure,but then again his yeild is never much more than 50-60% so it might be better to use tolly.
he seems to think its just his poor tech. thats causing the low yeilds though and not the xylene sub.
peace,chambered

halfkast

finest silks
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 07:50:00 PM »
You could use turpentine, it's almost definetly less miscible with tetra than toluene.

In that procedure do a warm rinse of the pill mass with the N/P your are going to extract with. Do this at the beginning of the procedure.

geezmeister

differences
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 06:14:00 AM »
I think the turpentine Halfkast refers to is something other than theĀ  gums spirits of turpentine sold in North America. I would not suggest the use of gum spirits of turpentine for this process.

Oh! Oh the smell!

halfkast

interesting
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 09:42:00 PM »
gum turpentine (aka "pure" turpentine) has a higher toxicity, it can pass through the skin and is used to make synthetic camphor.  8)  8)

See I think toluene absolutely stinks geez, like petrol. (gasoline)