Author Topic: XYLENE for re-x?  (Read 2681 times)

kris_1108

XYLENE for re-x?
« on: June 26, 2004, 03:54:00 PM »
As an alternative to acetone in the recrystalisation process, could xylene be used? If I were to try this, the product to be re-x'd would be added to a flask, along with a very generous amount of xylene. I would heat the NP to a few degrees below the BP of the alcohol that is to be used. After that, alcohol would be slowly added, dropwise, untill the pseudo/meth dissolved into the solution, which would be slowly cooled over 12/24hrs.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

geezmeister

will work
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 04:58:00 PM »
It will work. You'll probably want to rinse the crystals in acetone... but your taste in xylene may be different than mine... ;D  You will need to give it more time than you would a mix with acetone.

gluecifer69

Would there bee any advantage to using Xylene...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 08:23:00 PM »
Would there bee any advantage to using Xylene as opposed to Acetone?

jemma_jamerson

water recystalisation
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 08:57:00 PM »
mate why not just use water?

it works best in my opinion

kris_1108

H2O
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »

Probably not  ;D . I was just wondering if it would work. If I had something to recrystalise, i would probably try it, and see if there are any differences vs. a tone re-x. Maybe the crystals would be bigger/smaller/different shapes? Maybe not..

geezmeister

advantage
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 07:24:00 AM »

Depends on what contaminants are in with the meth. There are situations where using xylene or tolly will provide an advantage, and this is particularly true when recrystallizing pseudo HCl.

ChemoSabe

OK for Pseudo - Questionable for Meth
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 10:36:00 AM »
A big disadvantage from my POV concerning Xylene is the obnoxiousness of the odor it has combined with its very slow rate of evaporation. Leftover xylene is not something that you want going in your body in any amount. Not that you'd want any acetone, methanol or isopropanol either but at least those can be quickly and quite thoroughly removed from your endproduct with rinsing and heat.

Xylene is more challenging to fully do away with.

Personally I would not use it for meth.

For Pseudo going into a RXN it would bee no big deal though.