Author Topic: yet another phenylalanine post  (Read 8335 times)

SMACK_WHORE

yet another phenylalanine post
« on: October 05, 2003, 05:36:00 PM »
ok is this feasable?i cant be arsd balancing and obviously anhydrous is needed all the way especially in step no.2....                                    

1) phenylalanine+Cl2+U.V+Heat --->Benzene-CH2-(CO2H-CCl-NH2)+HCl
2)Benzene-CH2-(CO2H-CCl-NH2)+CH3OH -->
Benzene-CH2-(CO2H-COCH3-NH2)
3)Benzene-CH2-(CO2H-COCH3-NH2)+NaOH+heat -->
Benzene-CH2-(CH2OCH3)-NH2+Na2CO3 A.K.A. Alpha Methoxy Phenethyl Amine

Ok its No amphetamine but whats an extra Oxygen atom??i havent found anything relating to the activity of this compound.
PS this is Alpha methoxy PEA ie the carbon atom next to the nitrogen bears the methoxy group NOT the Carbon atom next to the benzene ring
I know this seems like a crappy synth to a crappy substance but never mind!

Rhodium

Chlorine/UV/Heat = Molecule Hell
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 06:35:00 PM »
Phenylalanine + Cl2 + U.V. + Heat

That sounds like an excellent way of polymerizing the entire molecule, or at least destroying the amine... Where did you get that idea?

Besides, have you completely missed

Post 309268

(Rhodium: "Meth related posts go in the STIMULANTS forum!", Newbee Forum)

SMACK_WHORE

modern Organic chemistry (R.O.C. Norman D.J. W.)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 07:10:00 PM »
i got the idea from the thory that a C-H bond next to the Carbonyl of a carboxylic acid can be turned into a C-Cl bond in the presence of U.V light and heat.
if the amines in danger how about the HCl salt(is that possible with an amino acid?
obviously the whole procedure would require alot of control in respect to PH and the like

Rhodium

Synthesis of Phenylalaninol Methyl Ether
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 07:33:00 PM »
I had a look, and there are no literature references available about the pharmacological effects of Phenylalaninol Methyl Ether (amphetamine with a methoxy group on its alpha-methyl group). However, below follows a synthesis of it:

Synthesis of alpha-methoxymethyl-phenethylamine (Phenylalaninol methyl ether)
J. Org. Chern., 43(5), 892-898 (1978)

Phenylalanine -> Phenylalaninol -> Phenylalaninol Methyl Ether

(S)-(-)-Phenylalaninol

This was prepared according to the method of Yamada[14] mp 88-90°C, [a]25D -25.4° (c 1.22, EtOH). Alternatively, it was prepared by the procedure of Brown's[15] and that of Lane[16] and all three methods gave similar results. The latter method[16], in our hands, proved to be the most convenient.

(S)-(-)-2-Amino-1-methoxy-3-phenylpropane

A solution of 18.4 g (0.122 mol) of (R)-(-)-phenylalaninol in 250 mL of anhydrous tetrahydrofuran was added dropwise to a stirred suspension of 5.23 g (0.130 mol) of potassium hydride (pentane washed) in 100 mL of tetrahydrofuran at 25°C under nitrogen. The resulting pale yellow gelatinous mixture was allowed to stand overnight and then a solution of 17.0g (0.119 mol) of methyl iodide in 150 mL of THF was added dropwise over 2 h. Mixing was accomplished by external shaking, since the gelatinous mixture would not stir with magnetic stirring bars. The reaction components were allowed to mix an additional 3 hand then poured into 1 L of cold saturated brine, extracted with ether (3x), dried with Na2SO4, and concentrated to give 24.9g of crude product. Distillation gave 17.1g (bp 55-59°C/0.1mmHg) of a clear oil which on standing became cloudy and rapidly produced a white precipitate which was found to be the carbonate. It was subsequently found that conversion of the freshly distilled methoxyamine to its hydrochloride salt was a more convenient way to store the compound. Thus the methoxyamine (17.0g), immediately after distillation, was dissolved in 700 mL of absolute ethanol and dry HCl bubbled in for 10 min. The resulting solution was concentrated, in vacuo, to furnish 20.5g of a colorless solid which was recrystallized from ethanol-ether (13:1), mp 151-152°C.

To release the free methoxyamine, it was dissolved in 5% potassium carbonate solution and extracted with ether, dried (Na2SO4), and concentrated. Bulb-to-bulb distillation (bp 52°C/0.1mmHg) gave the product as a clear oil.

References
[14] H. Seki, K. Koga, H. Matsuo. S. Ohki, I. Matsuo, and S. Yamada, Chem. Pharm. Bull., 13, 995 (1965).
[15] N. M. Yoon, C. S. Pak. H. C. Brown, S. Krishnamurthy, and T. P. Stocky, J. Org. Chem., 38, 2786 (1973).
[16] C. F. Lane (Aldrich-Boranes, inc.),

Patent US3935280

SMACK_WHORE

that isnt the compound im talkin bout ...
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 08:46:00 AM »
that isnt the compound im talkin bout though....the one im talkin about is just plain old methoxy stuck onto that alpha carbon.just like Phenylalaninol Methyl Ether but minus a carbon....sorry if im not been clear i cant use mark up so i cant put a pic of it up.....:(

Rhodium

Posting molecular images
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2003, 03:00:00 AM »
Taken from

Post 305766 (missing)

(Rhodium: "FAQ, Tips & Tricks", General Discourse)

Q: How do I post molecular images? How can I generate SMILES code? What formats can I use?

A: See

Post 305167 (missing)

(Rhodium: "Hive Molecular Structure Drawing Applet", General Discourse)
. In that thread you will also find links to the SMILES FAQ and programs capable of generating such code. For information about valid file formats, see

Post 305273 (missing)

(Lilienthal: "advanced features...", General Discourse)

SMACK_WHORE

BEHOLD!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 10:28:00 PM »
alpha methoxy phenethylamine in all its LEGAL glory:

____           NH2
         //   \\  /C\    /
        //     \\/    \ /
        \       /      C
         \     /       |
          ===         OCH3

Blind_Angel

what the difference between this one and the...
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 04:26:00 AM »
what the difference between this one and the one Rhodi posted

SMACK_WHORE

why wont ppl see??????
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 02:48:00 PM »
just fuckin look at it!!!!!the one rhodium posted has C-OCH3
attached to the alpha carbon..the one i drew has just OCH3 attached to the alpha carbon..its a subtle 1 carbon difference but it is a difference!!!!!!!

Rhodium

Not a good amphetamine analog.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 03:05:00 PM »
Alpha-methoxy-amines are sensitive to hydrolysis and tend to form the corresponding imine and methanol in aqueous solutions.

SMACK_WHORE

what about?
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 09:38:00 PM »
what about N-methyl- phenyethylamine?

Rhodium

stable, but inactive
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 12:14:00 AM »
That is stable, but devoid of all activity in humans up to several hundred milligrams.

SMACK_WHORE

ok but what about....
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 08:06:00 PM »
does this idea sound better?making an ester of phenylalanine then reducing this via a primary alcohol and lithium metal to make phenylalinol and a primary alcohol...
i know many bees would find a usefull purpose for phenylalinol..any comments on this????

Rhodium

Provide references for that Li reduction
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 08:22:00 PM »
That doesn't sound like a usable route to me... Too low selectivity and yield.

SMACK_WHORE

no reference
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2003, 09:09:00 PM »
i dont have a reference..the idea came from the basic Na/ethanol reduction of  esters to alcohols..i just presumed Li can be used in place of sodium as it still has an s orbital just a 3S instead of 2S..my thoughts where it would just be a lot slower..
i was more concerned about making the ester..which side would the equilibrium lie to, and how concentrated would the acid catylyst need to be?and which part is too unselective, i cant see any unselective bits

Rhodium

The Li reduction
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2003, 10:11:00 PM »
The Li reduction, but I thought you were referring to Li/NH3 - I have never heard of the variation you describe.

SMACK_WHORE

the book just says...R-CO-OR'--Na/C2H5OH-->R...
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2003, 10:58:00 PM »
the book just says...R-CO-OR'--Na/C2H5OH-->R-CH2-OH + R'-OH
theres no theory given for it but it does refer to the reduction of ketones/aldehydes:
YE OLD CHEM TXT BOOK:
                     "...Aldehydes and ketones are reduced with sodium and ethanol...
C2H5CH=O + 2Na + 2C2H5OH --> C2H5CH2OH + 2C2H5O(-)Na(+)
these reactions occur with the transfer of 2 electrons from the electro positive metal to the carbonyl group and the uptake of 2 protons from the ethanol"
im presumin this theory just carries over to an ester a it contains the carbonyl group..im just tryin t get my head around what happens to the .0-R group(.=lone electron) im wanderin where the extra H comes from to make into an OH group....

NedKelly

phenylalanine questions
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2003, 03:03:00 AM »
I was just reading the Australia list of catagory 1 restricted chemical and noticed that  phenylalanine was on the list , does that mean there is a workible route to meth , I was speaking to one of the moderators here about a year or 2 ago and they told that all the right ups where floored and hat it wasn't possible too do , has something changed.

paul

Rhodium

It is not easy to do, but it is possible.
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2003, 12:43:00 PM »
It is not easy to do, but it is possible. Search for "phenylalanine" on

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/

and you'll find two reduction protocols, both of which are more complicated than making the methamphetamine from scratch.

SMACK_WHORE

i looked in the patents for other methods of...
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2003, 03:17:00 AM »
i looked in the patents for other methods of carboxlic acid reduction.there was one for direct hydrogenation of carboxylic acids using lewis acid and some other fucked up metal sumthin with high temps to produce the corresponding alcohol....it refered to the method i described as the only other large scale method of producing alcohols from carboxylic acids....

halfkast

Is the Akabori reaction to reach the feedstock
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2003, 12:01:00 PM »
Is the Akabori reaction to reach the feedstock for a HI reduction feasable?

Although there's the benzaldehyde aquisition problem. The reaction will also produce PPA in the mixture which reduces to a more toxic drug I think you said Rh.

The yields suck too. But someone has made an attempt, which was low yielding from methylalanine.

'According to Akabori and Momotani (269), a mixture of an aromatic aldehyde and an amino acid on heating yield alkamines. By means of this reaction, ephedrine and norephedrine were synthesized.'

Is there any authoritative details on the procedure? reaction times, temperature, pH and solvent choice? freebase or salt for phenylalanine? D only, D,L, or L outcomes? Reflux?
Are there any other aromatic aldehydes, more OTC have useful outcomes?

Rhodium

UTFSE for "Akabori"
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2003, 11:19:00 AM »
UTFSE for "Akabori" and you'll find a lot of articles on the topic, a few awaits translation from german though.

PPA is reduced to regular amphetamine by HI.

halfkast

UTFSE for "Akabori" and you'll find...
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2003, 12:42:00 PM »
UTFSE for "Akabori" and you'll find a lot of articles on the topic, a few awaits translation from german though.

You know I was going to mention that.
you supplied 4 examples, the first 3 were german, only the final one in english, and that was the one you had doubts about beeing the akabori thats useful for alchemy.

ok, Ill try look for more articles everywhere. im going to hit the pAtents too.
ahah i was looking for patents to synthetic N-alkylated amino acids today  ;D  8)

SMACK_WHORE

ok swim has been plauged with ideas about...
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2003, 12:07:00 AM »
ok swim has been plauged with ideas about phenyalanine latley...
swim has thought up the following small scale experiment..

1g of phenylalanine is dissolved in 3.642g isopropenol and a catalytic amount of HCl is added.the mixture is then heated to yeild an ester
     QUESTION 1:How much HCl should be used?and how long should it be heated for?
0.0607g Li metal is thrown into the mix and dissolved.this should yeild phenylalininol and isopropenol.
     Question 2: will this above reation work?the origional method involves Na in ethanol to reduce an ester.how could the phenylalinol be isollated?

java

Phenylalanine to amphetamine
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2004, 02:50:00 AM »
You might want to follow this thread to this other thread continued from an older post.....java

Post 516647 (missing)

(java: "Phenylalanine  to amphetamine continuation.....", Serious Chemistry)