Author Topic: “KISS” for Newbees /w visual Aid (pics)  (Read 7266 times)

Glacial_Refluxer

HI does disolve rubber
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2003, 06:40:00 AM »
I wouldn't suggest useing lime glass [salt shaker ect.] for
a rxn vessel and that picture of pseudoephedrine doesnt
look like hcl needles or freebase crystals maybe its my
eyes.

k0dog

At the top it says..
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2003, 07:14:00 AM »
at the top I does say that he did not "actually" do this conversion only simulated.... but he could have cosent abetter picture swim agrees...

CainTwister

Why not use some copper tubing from an old...
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2003, 08:31:00 AM »
Why not use some copper tubing from an old cooler or the hardware store (around three meters), bend into a corkscrew with a loop diameter a good six inches wider than the area of the reaction flask and heat source that it will be suspended above, attach to flask mouth via stopper and tape, cap with a punch balloon, support with wire, and cool with fan/freezer gel packs during the reaction? HI (aq) doesn't react with copper, copper conducts heat better than glass and won't shatter if bumped or knocked over, and the design and tube length are superior to the popular straight glass tube.

I'm new to this shit, so forgive me if this has already been shot down for whatever reason  ;)

halfkast

you guys are incredible
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2003, 08:15:00 PM »
the point I've been trying to make is simply that a condensor is easily made and easily kept cold for 12hrs. The balloon can bee kept on top.

ScottyDogg, thats horrifying that you'd go to the effort of preparing a large reaction like that without preparing the most basic of condensors.

beyond belief and reason. :(

Scottydog

Swim has two posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2003, 09:51:00 PM »
Halfkast: Sometimes it helps to read them both...

Here we go again for like the 5th time. Swim can't remember how many times he has been an advocate of the homemade condenser, regardless of which one a bee might choose.

Can't get any easier then a 5 gallon bucket, braided tubing, a sleeve from a bicycle intertube and "imitation ice" (Balloon on top)

The basic principle of the idea can bee found here.

Swim believes Mister_Clean said it best.

A great read especially for newbees.

But yes Swim is lazy, does not ALWAYS use one. Truth bee known, it is NOT necessary...

P/P, Run the hose down the sink and past the water trap, kitty litter, hose + balloon, condenser + balloon, condenser + water trap, or just run the hose out a window.

A newbee has many options...

But yes Halfkast, since bees should concentrate on safety first, this is where they might want to start.

Read all 30 posts in the thread.

A condenser will NOT protect one from the potential fire hazards associated with phosphine.  :(

But anyway...

Post 28988 (missing)

(simonsays7: "Home made reflux condenser", Chemicals & Equipment)

SQUIDIPPY

ok
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2003, 03:12:00 AM »

Why not use some copper tubing from an old cooler or the hardware store

You go right ahead and do that. If S/D was you he’d make out a will first, however.
It does not really matter what setup you use. All you're looking to do is contain the smoke and keep some HI in the RNX vessel. You can stick the hose in your ass, (better to use your dogs ass), and it will get the job done.

S/D apologizes for his shitty camera.
Is this better??

chemplayer

Part 2???
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2003, 05:06:00 AM »
Hey...any updates on when we can expect part 2?  Hopefully the weather has started cooperating.   Liked the pic at the end of this thread!

SHORTY

The point we are trying to make is
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2003, 04:24:00 AM »

the point I've been trying to make is simply that a condensor is easily made and easily kept cold for 12hrs. The balloon can bee kept on top.

ScottyDogg, thats horrifying that you'd go to the effort of preparing a large reaction like that without preparing the most basic of condensors.

beyond belief and reason.

The point we are trying to make is that its not necessary because a balloon is sufficient.  Most of us have used a condenser, but unless your doing a long reflux then one is not necessary. 

We know this because we have tried this both ways many times.  Its called experience.

gluecifer69

Where ya at Squidippy?
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2004, 10:21:00 PM »
Is a second part still in the works?  

This thread has been referenced by this bee many times for both personal reasons and to help others.

SQUIDIPPY

if
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2004, 08:58:00 PM »
If only I can find the time!!

Grub

correct me if I'm wrong...
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2004, 09:05:00 AM »

auntyjack

copper
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2004, 01:23:00 AM »
why does our friend who would use copper pipe need to draw up a will??.....and don't say,"lack of oxygen to the brain"...i want to know what happens before that...fire? explosion? plague?