Author Topic: Does anybody know?  (Read 1804 times)

godard

Does anybody know?
« on: May 20, 2003, 04:32:00 PM »
Lets say that somebody has reached the basifying process with a ph ~12. So he starts to do the 3 extractions. (Using naptha, heating, etc)
On the 1st extraction on the top of the solution bubles rise.So somebody could assume everything is ok..
BUT on the second and 3rd extractions there are no bubles. JUST two seperate layers seperated like oil and water.
Question: should all 3 extractions be combined and then left to evaporate OR evaporate seperately the 1st and the other 2? (arundinacea)

godard

it IS urgent..
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 05:03:00 PM »
ok.. i'll try to be clearer.so:
-used arundinacea (hcl,naptha,NH3)
-used the dmt extraction for students  method
-defatted 2 times
-basified to ph 12
-NO color change, NO heating up (by itself)
-added 3 times naptha (jar in pot with warm water (~45o C )
-after each time i added naptha waited for 24 hours then 
 kept the top layer.
-first time-top layer was bubbles
-2nd & 3rd times transparent fluid on top.
-collected in one jar the bubbles from 1st extr. and
-collected in another jar the transparent fluid.
Question 1: should i put them together and leave them to evaporate OR evaporate seperately?
Question 2: is there a chance of..serious damage if i inhale wrong thing

P.S. Have never been..."outhere"-trying hard to go.
Please help

calcium

well, since it's "urgent"...
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 07:54:00 PM »
...I'll help. The answers you seek should be easily found in the document you followed and in numerous posts on the Hive. You got an emulsion in your first extraction which you'll want to clean up. I would combine all three naptha extractions and wash them with slightly basic brine sol'n. It's always a good idea to wash your non polar solvent anyway, but you want to clean up what I'm guessing is an emulsion in the first pull. The two clean layers in the sep funnel are what you'd always like to see happen.
     Heat some distilled water, disolve as much salt as it will hold and adjust pH to 8.0 or above. Combine in your sep funnel with the non polar (naptha) swirl as usual, seperate and disgard the water. Save the non polar and evaporate w/o heat. Bee patient so you don't screw up and next time post in the NewBee forum.

calcium

one more thing...
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 08:12:00 PM »
...very little success has been reported about phylaris extraction. Don't be surprised if you don't get anything but report your results. How much starting material and how much finished product? Next time buy some mimosa, then you'll get "out there".

godard

"The two clean layers in the sep funnel...
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 09:45:00 PM »
"The two clean layers in the sep funnel are what you'd always like to see happen."

I was also told that the 1st extraction with bubbles is what i am looking for and that the other two (transparent ones)contain some alcaloids more..

heavenadisaster

i hope that it is implied that you shook the...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 01:34:00 AM »
i hope that it is implied that you shook the hell out of those extractions as well.

what does everyone think about the pet ether?  would anyone say there is a better solvent?

Edit to clarify: i am referring to the NP extraction solvent