Author Topic: i can't figure this maleic anhydride -> 1,4 out...  (Read 2052 times)

chiliuno

i can't figure this maleic anhydride -> 1,4 out...
« on: December 19, 2002, 06:12:00 AM »
i have limited eperience with chemistry, so please lend me a hand...i have a diagram that shows one how to turn maleic anhydride and methanol into 1,4 bdo.  i could post the pages if i knew how...
i'll just describe what they say-
-one should estrify maleic anhydride with methanol and feed to a low presure vapor-phase hydrogenation system to yield 1,4 bdo.

i have a general idea of what this means, and i also have a diagram, some of which i understand, that eplains the rxn...

if one of you knowledgeable people who aren't yourselves could dream me a step by step that an idiot (i know just the one) would be able to follow, i'd be gratefull.

Rhodium

That fact that you don't know what it means also ...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2002, 11:49:00 AM »
That fact that you don't know what it means also indicates that you won't be able to pull it off, so please go on to another method for the synthesis of BDO.

chiliuno

perhaps you'd care to recommend another method?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2002, 09:37:00 AM »
perhaps you'd care to recommend another method?
anybody out there that can give me a run down or perhaps point me to a place that i can get the nitty gritty in plain english, i'd be appreciative.

Rhodium

There are several methods and references listed ...
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2002, 05:22:00 PM »
There are several methods and references listed on my page in the GHB section, as well as the archives here at the Hive being full to the brim in regards to the preparation of many GHB-related chemicals.

Just make sure that you try several different keywords in TFSE, such as BDO, 1,4-BD, BD, Butanediol, tetramethylene glycol etc.

chiliuno

roger that, wilco... thanks.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2002, 07:48:00 PM »
roger that, wilco...
thanks.