Author Topic: HVAC or Vacuum Aspirator Station?  (Read 1344 times)

Dr_Lxve

HVAC or Vacuum Aspirator Station?
« on: January 21, 2003, 09:10:00 AM »

Rhodium

Either or?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 10:29:00 AM »
Neither is the universal solution. See

Post 398298 (missing)

(Rhodium: "The combination is perfect", Newbee Forum)

spectralmagic

Water-aspirator works for me...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 10:46:00 AM »
Being a cheap bastard, I've only ever used a water aspirator (water is fairly plentiful in this city, and free in this building)...  all-glass model with built-in backflow preventer (which works well enough that I've never sucked water into the erlenmeyer flask setup to catch such events).  Just last night it was pulling a vacuum strong enough to distill our favourite 2-alkene at 118C (very steady vacuum as well - I guess I have a good water supply)... what is that, about 9-10 torr/mmHg?  And yes, the water here is icy cold out of the faucet...

Organikum

A aspirator for most needs
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 12:11:00 PM »
but of course Rhodium is right, the combination of an aspirator connected to the outlet of a HVAV pump is the killer application.

A very astonishing and rarely known fact is that a well buildt aspirator can pull more vacuum as widely assumed. The steampressure of water does not limit the vacuum that can be reached. The limitation is in the maximal velocity which is mostly determined by friction.
Old differences like UF vs. Eleusis where this started I believe and many threads here may be rated new taking this in regard.

Yes all books tell so, at least all chemical ones. Have a look in physics and engineering. They know more.

ORG

PolytheneSam

HVAC usually stands for heating, ventilation...
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 03:45:00 PM »
HVAC usually stands for heating, ventilation and air conditioning.  The stores often sell oil type vacuum pumps, too.