Author Topic: Ammonia Sulphate!!?  (Read 3698 times)

kdog_x

Re: Ammonia Sulphate!!?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2002, 10:56:00 AM »
Uh... I think I missed something, how is this a waste of good NH4NO3. Will my Zinnias die?

People who throw dirt. Lose Ground

PrimoPyro

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2002, 03:05:00 PM »
Haha, don't worry about that comment. It's just a "personal" opinion.  ;)

PrimoPyro

Vivent Longtemps la Ruche!

Elementary

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2002, 03:29:00 PM »
Talk about waste(d)

In 1921 a 4,500 metric ton stockpile of ammonium nitrate and ammonium sulfate exploded at a chemical plant in Oppau, Germany. The blast and subsequent fire killed 600, injured 1500, and left 7000 people homeless.

One day I'll understand everything !

PrimoPyro

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2002, 03:37:00 PM »
The nitrate was the one to blame, not the sulfate. If you use sulfate, you should have no worries whatsoever of explosion.

PrimoPyro

Elementary

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2002, 03:42:00 PM »
I think it was the double salt (NH4)2SO4.2NH4NO3 (Leuna Saltpeter), anyway getting back to ammonium sulphate .............

terbium

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2002, 07:00:00 PM »
In 1921 a 4,500 metric ton stockpile of ammonium nitrate and ammonium sulfate exploded at a chemical plant in Oppau, Germany.
The way I remember the story is that this was a huge pile sitting outside, byproduct from some other process.  Over time, exposure to the elements had caused the pile to fuse into a rock hard mass. So, when they decided to clean up the pile, to break up the fused mass they decided to blast. They drilled holes into the hardened mass, inserted dynamite and set off the dynamite hoping to break the pile into smaller pieces.

When was the Port Arthur, Texas explosion? This involved a freight ship filled with amonium nitrate that caught fire. Even though it was taken a good distance from port before the explosion it still caused great damage to the town.

terbium

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2002, 10:06:00 PM »
Just got back from H*** D****. I checked the fertilizer aisle for bags of pure ammonium sulfate. I found the tags showing where the ammonium sulfate had been but there were no bags. Just as I was looking around for an employee to ask when they would restock the ammonium sulfate, here came someone pulling a pallet of about 25 20lb bags and before I left the store I saw him bringing in another pallet of 20lb bags. So, H*** D**** in Southern Calif. has bags of pure ammonium sulfate again, at a price of less than $3.00/20lb bag.

PrimoPyro

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2002, 06:32:00 AM »
I had recently told a friend of SWIPP's about this topic of acquisition, and that SWIPP could not find it here in TX, and he said, more or less, "Well then you need to open your eyes, man!" We went to the store which you speak of, and lo and behold, small 5lb bags and large 25lb bags, for $1.29 and $4.19 respectively. Not bad for 25lbs....

PrimoPyro

kdog_x

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2002, 03:50:00 AM »
Looks like I just live in the wrong state. I even got an employee to unlock the door to the outside garden section. If they have it, it mustn't be until spring. Or maybe my H*** De*** just sucks ::)

Elementary

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2002, 04:16:00 AM »
I just can't believe what your saying !

As a last resort make it by adding dilute sulphuric acid to ammonia solution (household ammonia, available at large chemists and hardware stores) and evapourate.

toltec

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2002, 03:43:00 AM »
When youn guy's say pure amonia sulphate do you mean 100%
or do you mean 28%or what please clarifie 8)

PrimoPyro

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2002, 03:56:00 AM »
Ammonium sulfate is a solid, so pure would imply 100% ammonium sulfate.

For aqueous solutions of ammonia, "pure" often refers to containing no adulterants, and "concentration" refers to the quantity included within the water.

PrimoPyro

kdog_x

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2002, 03:39:00 AM »
Maybe March will bring new tidings. No hurry, Swim can't make chloroform without a still anyway.  ;)

PrimoPyro

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2002, 04:01:00 AM »
What?

toltec

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2002, 06:31:00 AM »
amonia sulphate is a solid ,but so is all the other crap inthe fertilizer.listenif I have a 20lb sack and 8lb is
filler(bullshit) and the rest is amonia sulphate then you
don't have 100% amonia sulphate.Let's just get real here
and stop all the bullshit.Outside of annie(nh3)there hasn't been any 100% amonia anything in great amount anywhere at any store for sell to individuals.
Jeeze I feel like "FROST" is back.

What ever became of Frost anyway? 8)  8)

Buster_Hymen

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2002, 10:48:00 PM »
He passed away (was decapitated, actually) in a tragic explosion involving a bug sprayer, aqueous ammonia, lithium batteries, and several opened cans of starting fluid.

\\|//
    ô¿ô     -- Free Spitball and give him a wedgie!
    \O/
      '''

toltec

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2002, 05:05:00 AM »
Don't forget all the honey he made from edta or that
photodeveloping fluid.Ha,Ha,Ha ;D  ;D  :P  8)

Peaktime

Ammonia gas generation
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2003, 08:07:00 PM »
A few doubts.....
Will ANY ammonium salt react with NaOH to produce Ammonia gas???????
And if yes, is there an difference of using one salt instead of other, in therms of gas generation?
I bought some Ammonium Bicarbonate (NH4HCO3), can I use it to produce ammonia gas?

Rhodium

ammonium salts
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2003, 08:28:00 PM »
Yes, much any salt will do, the main difference being how much of the salt you need to use per gram of ammonia generated, as the  non-ammonia part of the different salts are more or less heavy.

Peaktime

Ammonia salt
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2003, 01:19:00 AM »
Yeah just asked to be sure....
I calculated the amount for ammonium bicarbonate, I should react 158g of NH4HCO3 to every 80g of NaOH.....
Here where I live Ammonium bicarbonate is much more OTC than Ammonium Sulphate......(São Paulo, Brazil)
The bad thing is the Sassy oil, because you need a Medical license to buy...