Author Topic: Is this column really worth it?  (Read 1846 times)

TheBlindGenius

Is this column really worth it?
« on: September 20, 2002, 09:34:00 PM »

Link Edited /Rhodium

Look at the first one there which would be the 29/42 with 5 plates, vacuum-jacketed internal bellows, silvered, 28mm diameter column.  Swim's friend who lives about 4 hours away, has one.  He said he will sell it to swim for $450 which is half the price.  It is brand new still in the box.  Problem is, swim already has a regular vigreux, a snyder and shit like that.  He has read on the hive that these are superior however.  How much cleaner can one expect one's ketone to get using one of these?  Will the distillation temp go down?  Do you need a variable reflux ratio distilling head or any complicated distilling head other than the 3-way still head to get any difference?  Swim realizes that many bees have different views on the distillation process so swim would appreciate your input.  Thanks.

Diggity

Remvoe the link genius.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 10:38:00 PM »
Remove the link genius.

& I'm, somethin of a phenom, 1 puff of da cron, I'm un-stopable.   

Osmium

> How much cleaner can one expect one's ketone ...
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2002, 12:34:00 AM »
> How much cleaner can one expect one's ketone to get using one of these?

Depends on too many factors to give a definite reply.

> Will the distillation temp go down? 

No. Usually it will go up when using a column. Not much at all using vigreux, but quite considerable with one of these.

> Do you need a variable reflux ratio distilling head or
> any complicated distilling head other than the 3-way
> still head

No, you almost never really 'need' them unless you want to produce ultra-pure solvents, although they can be helpful in certain cases. For small scale ketone distillation they are unnecessary or even counterproductive.

> Is this column really worth it?

For ketone distillation? No. Biggest disadvantage seems to be the big holdup, it will reduce your yield.

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.