Author Topic: Purchase Orders  (Read 1970 times)

KraZAlchemist

Purchase Orders
« on: September 19, 2002, 06:53:00 PM »
When one elects to pay via "purchase order" instead of credit card, and enters a purchase order number, what is assumed here?  That you will be sending a check/purchase order form (including purchase number)?

Are POs generally only used for credit accounts?

I'm sure much depends on the company, but i have been unable to find specific order information for this one company, and i am wondering what the industry norm is?

If one were to send a purchase order in, it had better be drawn from a business checking account, huh?  Couldn't get away with sending a cashiers check from a bank?

Thanks in advance  ;)

"We face daily, a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems."[sic]

pickler

Purchase orders are used kinda like a reference ...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2002, 07:26:00 PM »
Purchase orders are used kinda like a reference number for records and such. Lets say you call from your business and you have a po number from your purchasing dept. When the package comes the po number is there as a reference. Getting a credit acct with a company is a whole different thing. If the item isn't suspicious just don't put a po number and say your not a business.

I went into the business for the money, and the art grew out of it.-Charlie Chaplin

KraZAlchemist

Purchase orders are used kinda like a reference ...
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2002, 08:04:00 PM »
Purchase orders are used kinda like a reference number for records and such.

Yeah, I understand that, but I guess what i'm trying to ask is, if I give them a purchase order number when making my order, instead of a credit card number, will they be expecting a check in the mail from me?

"We face daily, a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems."[sic]

RoundBottom

existing account
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2002, 08:55:00 PM »
they expect you to already have an account with them, and to have terms established, usually net 30 days, or net 5 if you're a delinquent customer.  a PO is only for people who have gone through the companies credit check process and have an agreement to pay.

Nymphomania is not a disease  - its a goal!  (Methadist on Rosemary Kennedy)

noj

Correct. Many companies have several people ...
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2002, 09:08:00 PM »
Correct. Many companies have several people ordering things. So accounting can account for all purchases made, people that want to place an order usually have to get a PO number from their company first, then use that when placing the order.

It is for the accountants to make sure no erroneous(sp) charges appear on their statements.

there's a big difference between criticizing your government and criticizing your country