Author Topic: quick glass cleaning method  (Read 1437 times)

tu_see_bee

quick glass cleaning method
« on: March 08, 2003, 06:57:00 PM »
have random tabacco bowls, stems, pipes, etc. that you'd like to get clean? tired of buying expensive designer solutions that don't really work? get a microwave-safe glass container that fits the desired glass product to get clean. fill the glass with iso. alcohol (substitute h2o up to 60% for cost reasons if necessary), drop in the dirty glass piece, and place in the microwave for 5 minutes on medium heat. the vibration and heat elements in concert with the iso. gets all unwanted resins right off, decant alcohol, wash glass piece with h2o, and let dry. works like, well, a dream ;D. enjoy.
btw- if using drinking glass as cleaning vessel, remember to decant and set drinking glass aside until room temp. so it doesn't break in cold water. (yeah, that's a duh, but still something to keep in mind.)

Rhodium

It is dangerous to heat flammable solvents in...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 11:10:00 PM »
It is dangerous to heat flammable solvents in the microwave!

acid_egg

Tell that to the stims forum! :-)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 12:08:00 AM »
Tell that to the stims forum! :)

Rhodium

I usually do that, repeatedly... :-S
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 03:59:00 AM »
I usually do that, repeatedly...  ::)

littlejasebee

There is no way !
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 04:23:00 AM »
There's no way i would put isopropanol ( alcohol ) in the microwave or near an open flame your got to be abit silly if you try it or your got to like a fire in your kichen      :-[     .The one thing you don't want to wash your glass with is soapy water  .

Littlejase      :)      .

MarleyBob

Let it sit
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2003, 05:22:00 AM »
Just let that iso sit overnight(~24 hrs) and even throw in some rice or corn kernels for abrasion, and swirl, for the larger tubes.

Organikum

heating flammable solvents
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2003, 09:39:00 PM »
Heating flammable solvents is dangerous anyways. Keeping them closed in the fridge and never open is a possible way to handle them halfway secure.
Search for "tapwater chemistry" ..... 8)  ;)  ;D

ORG
btw. adding iodine to hydrocarbons is regarded as safe?..... :P

Mystic

Tap water works pretty good by itself.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 06:28:00 PM »
Tap water works pretty good by itself.  Heat for five minutes then get a q tip and all the resin wipes right off  :)

slick14

put your pipe into acetone that will get the...
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2003, 08:49:00 AM »
put your pipe into acetone that will get the job bone just be sure its all evaporated before you try to use it again

urushibara

use some np, then some iso
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2003, 09:49:00 AM »
or ethanol (aka methylated spirits)

toluene is rather good at getting carbonaceous crap of glass... I guess naptha would be too, though in greater quantities. Iso isn't that good at doing the trick. neither is EtOH. (we talking about base pipe right?). tol's the best I've ever seen. turps would be good too. main thing is let it sit in the sun for a few hours after to get all the residues out.

next step is a copper gun cleaner thingy.

Coitus

hmmm
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 08:41:00 AM »
I've always found rubbing alcohol and salt work on just about anything....

spagaaked

Boil in bleach
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2003, 08:39:00 PM »
I boil mine in bleach for a couple of minutes ,they look brand new when I'm done.Put bowl in the micowave or pot on the stove.