Author Topic: Ghet-A-Suck Vacuum filtration + PE Sep funnel  (Read 2139 times)

spectralshift

Ghet-A-Suck Vacuum filtration + PE Sep funnel
« on: January 21, 2004, 06:38:00 AM »
Here's a couple of my make-shift designs. I designed them to cater to my needs. These needs are:

- To work close to the level as lab grade equipment would.
- To bee ultra quick to construct.
- To disassemble and disappear within a couple of minutes.

Nothing at the hive satisfied me to tell you the truth. Ungrateful i know. I probably just couldn't be bothered going through them all.

The Ghet-a-Suck is Push-Pulls brother. P/P pushes Ghet-A-Suck around, but he pulls him off to say he's sorry. Ghet-A-Suck is lazy and sits in buckets and over sink holes pissing all day long.

He will increase the rate of filtration by hundreds of %, but you'll have to tinker with the amount of holes to optimise him.

The pressure-equalised filtration unit is supreme aswell, it is essentially a rubber cork with a short tube for the exit of your bottom layer, and a long tube to reach to the bottom (top effectively as it will bee upsidedown (der)) to equalise pressure.
It will fit either champagne or wine bottles, but you might want to lightly sand the insertion end of the cork so it inserts conveniently and easily.

My second choice for a separatory funnel would bee a HDPE bottle, e.g domestos, bleach, many shampoo bottles etc are examples for newbees (usualy semi-dull plastic, commonly coloured, sometimes translucent like milk bottles), with a small hole punched in the bottom, to equalise pressure, and one at the bottom to drop a layer.

The single cork design I dreamt up because a plastic bottle with a hole at the bottom is still suspicious, anyway like I said my standards are high, and I want yours to bee too my precious newbee darling baybees!

Clean up after you do anything in an illegal or legal lab of any sort. Don't associate with criminals, be a decent person otherwise and keep your mind innocent.

Edit: whoa the image sizes are atrociously gigantic. Ill make them small the and overwrite on the server. the only thing is i cant be bothered at the moment...then again i may force myself to be bothered.

ask the person who pays for the hive proxy if its okay to leave them like this for a week or so.

hehe i might just do it now...

Mr_Bronson

Suction
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 08:20:00 AM »
Suction is created by water draining out of the large bottle via holes in the bottom? You fill the bottle through the same holes by immersing in a bucket of water and create suction by lifting the bottle out. Is this how it works?

Charles Bronson

spectralshift

Suction is created by water draining out of...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 11:20:00 AM »
Suction is created by water draining out of the large bottle via holes in the bottom?

That's right.
You reminded me of something, try and make sure the tip of the funnel is passed the junction of the T connector to take away the possibility of the liquid going down the wrong path.

You fill the bottle through the same holes by immersing in a bucket of water and create suction by lifting the bottle out. Is this how it works?

Nah, you would start with a full bottle.
the more holes you make the greater the suction, but the quicker the bottle will empty.

You've just inspired a cool improvement, well done. heh.

If you want continual powerful suction, add another T-connector, but this time on top of the plastic suction bottle, and situate it under a tap to bee refilled after a Super leaky bottle empties.

Test it with plain water, it kills it, it streams through.

Fuck with it.

Mr_Bronson

Maybe a valve could be added
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »
If you make a hole in the large bottle and somehow stick a flap on the inside to make a one-way valve. Then, when you push the bottle under water, it will rapidly fill but the valve will close when you lift it out.

spectralshift

That might be cool!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »
But you'd just have to make sure the connection between the filter and the plunger was disconnect during plunging, or else you'll get pressure pushing whatever is being filtered not in to the flask but rather all over your bench...

also the sink or buckect would have to be emptied every refill if you want to do it that way, unless you have some sort of a stand above the sink.

So are you thinking the water in your variation would be coming out of the valve with out holes? or in thru the valve, out thru holes?

Just the holes might be a lot easier...it doesn't run out quickly, 1 1.25 bottle will suck thru about 10+ refills of the filter paper.
i.e. one 1.25lt bottle will finish a whole filtration task.

Actually the most annoying part is punching the holes, because you have to make a lot to  get good suction, a hot nail is worth a try. A "big one" in technical terms hehe.

Osmium

> Suction is created by water draining out...
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 01:37:00 AM »
> Suction is created by water draining out of the large
> bottle via holes in the bottom?

And that is supposed to create a vacuum?

Mr_Bronson

A very soft vacuum
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 03:41:00 AM »
You'd get a pressure differential of around 2 KPa (1/3 psi) when the bottle is full.

Organikum

perhaps
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 06:49:00 AM »
he fills the bottle with mercury?

spectralshift

Bronson what equation did you use for the...
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 09:49:00 AM »
Bronson what equation did you use for the numbers??

I think, don't quote me though, that if there was a second T on the drainage bottle, and it was refilled and corked through the vacant arm, then the second draining would pull harder.
Because there is less air in the apparatus to begin with. (maybe)

Anyway as said the origional works like a champ.

Bronson, any ideas for maintaining a constant fill? Maybe with a constant drip of a tap?
But if that's done then the aparatus won't be closed, any ideas?

Organikum

place the
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 10:01:00 AM »
sucker as high as any possible and connect a tube to the bottom. Use two suckers and a Y-valve for permanent suck - one sucker gets refilled whilst the other one sucks furtheron.
If you have running water available - use an aspirator.

spectralshift

Org I'm having difficulty following, was that...
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 10:30:00 AM »
Org I'm having difficulty following, was that two concepts or one?

Ill try and get this right:
So we have a train of two drainage bottles, connected by an upsidedown Y -connector.

No i really am lost. sorry mate hehe

Osmium

Just buy a fucking aspirator. Sheesh.
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 11:36:00 AM »
Just buy a fucking aspirator. Sheesh.