Author Topic: Sassy Oil +H2O+NaCl  (Read 1792 times)

Peaktime

Sassy Oil +H2O+NaCl
« on: August 25, 2003, 06:31:00 PM »
Some days ago I steam distilled some sassy woods, and I got around 5Ml of oil at the bottom of the flask full of cloudy water..So I read in a post here in the hive, that some of the oil is lost in the water, and that one should saturate the water with NaCl, thus making the water layer more polar(I guess that's it), and allowing the oil to separate from the water completely...So, I added enough NaCl to saturate, and I think I got some problems... Now that the density of the water is much bigger (because of the salt adition), the sassy oil layer shouldn't be all in the bottom (I don't remember the density of Safrole) and I guess I'll have to do a solvent extraction.. Any bee can give me some advice on how can I get rid of the water without losing my beatiful sassy oil???

It seems that the oil stills on the bottom, but not sure if some of it didn't travel to the top or is lost in the cloudy water....

StraightEdge

exactly which post did you read?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 09:36:00 PM »
Why not just distill out the safrole? You were going to do it eventually.

Vitus_Verdegast

solvent extraction
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 11:33:00 PM »
You cannot distill off the water, from a mixture that you've just steam-distilled!

Do a solvent extraction.

StraightEdge

i had a feeling it wasn't that simple
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 01:55:00 AM »
Since writing that post I have learned the definition of steam-distillation. Previously I had thought it was just a fancy term for boiling off water to leave behind your product. I was not aware that the boiling point of an essential oil could change in the presence of steam.

But hey, like they said in first grade, better to give the wrong answer and look stupid, than not say anything at all.

Right?  ::)   

For other dumbasses like me:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/3base/safrole.plants/fafopo/steam_distillation.html

Peaktime

Solvent extraction
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 06:11:00 PM »
Thanx I'm gonna do a solvent extraction...Just wondering, how much solvent should I use for let's say ~5ml of sassy oil???
I think I'm gonna use Petroleum Ether, or Kerosene.....

Bubbleplate

Steam Distillation of Sassafras Oil
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 07:32:00 PM »
is straightforward and simple AND... it works!
Check my old posts about distilling Sassy oil from root bark.
(UTFSE)
Forget the solvent mess!

Peaktime

you didn't get it
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 06:28:00 PM »
No you didn't get it at all....The oil IS already steam distilled..... There is a bunch of water and the oil is in the bottom.... But I added some salt NaCl to the water, to make the water layer more polar and free some more oil the the bottom layer (I read it in some post around here that some of the oil is lost in the "cloudy" water layer)...
now I wanna separate the oil from this salt water...That's why I said I was gonna do a solvent extraction....
Just needed to know how much solvent to use.