Author Topic: Synthesisof Substituted 1-Arylindanes  (Read 4973 times)

lutesium

Synthesisof Substituted 1-Arylindanes
« on: October 06, 2004, 03:56:00 PM »

Rhodium

Always post journal names/page/volume with PDF's
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 07:20:00 PM »
What is your point with posting this article anyway? There is a picture of isosafrole on page 3 of the article, but no reactions are performed with it and all the products they make are useless for our purposes.

lutesium

Rhodium I wanted to post some reactions which...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 09:49:00 PM »
Rhodium

I wanted to post some reactions which are about general chemistry. I wrote the topics of my posts so anyone who wishes to ignore wont read it. But I thought some bee who wishes to learn some new knowledge migh be interested as I do.

Just shared the info

Rhodium

Please stay on topic in the future
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 12:02:00 AM »
I strongly advise you against cluttering the board with random articles with no application at all to the topic of interest, which is the chemistry of mind-altering compounds.

lutesium

Ok rhodium. I'll stay on topic.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 02:40:00 AM »
Ok rhodium. I'll stay on topic. But I'm only sharing my labor with this site and trying to add whatever I find important. These are what I read and I wanted to add them here. Maybe it interested someone else  :) .

Maybe we should create novel pharmaceuicals so thesynthesis of an arylindane will draw attention  ;D

Dont you like reading these kind of novel synthetic reports?

psychokitty

One of those references looks interesting . . .
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 06:41:00 AM »
The following reference found on the citations page of the PDF you posted, lutesium, might shed some light as to the nature of the acid catalyzed dimerization of ring substituted propenyl benzenes -- particularly, isosafrole.

Tricyclic dimers of propenylphenyl ethers-I NMR and stereochemistry. 
MacMillan, J; I.L.; Morris, D.J. 
Tetrahedron 1969, 25, 905-914.

Rhodium, do you have online access to this journal article?  It might prove interesting to read.

BTW, lutesium, the paper might come in handy if one was to ever determine that such HIGHLY substituted phenethylamines are indeed active, but, for now, all one can do is guess.

lutesium

That was my point psychokitty.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 01:38:00 PM »
That was my point psychokitty.

Also the reference you mention seems to be interesting for the understanding of dimerisation of allylbenzenes and might let us learn how to avoid it maybe..

Rhodium

DOI + Abstract
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 07:43:00 PM »
I can't access that article myself, but here is its full abstract along with its DOI link to make the retrieval easier for anyone who has access to the Tetrahedron backfiles.

Tricyclic dimers of propenylphenyl ethers. I. NMR and stereochemistry
J. MacMillan, I. L. Martin, D. J. Morris, Tetrahedron 25(4), 905-914 (1969)
DOI:

10.1016/0040-4020(69)85024-6

Abstract
From their NMR spectra, the ?- and ?-racemates of the phenylindanes, obtained by acid-induced dimerization of isohomogenol and isosafrole, are shown to possess the 1,2-cis-2,3-trans-and 1,2-trans-2,3-trans-configurations respectively. This conclusion contradicts the configurations previously assigned to these racemates. Metanethole the dimer of anethole is shown to be the ?-racemate, that is, the 1,2-trans-2,3-trans-racemate. The 1,2-cis-2,3-cis-configuration of the synthetic ?-racemates of metanethole and diisohomogenol is confirmed.