Author Topic: whirlpool  (Read 2708 times)

peregrine

whirlpool
« on: May 05, 2004, 07:12:00 PM »
Maybe i'm just tweeking or Is it my imagination, when I swirl my product  after the reactin is done and I add the water and toul. and basifiy it  the whirlpool is on top in the n.p,but once I get the ph down to 8 or below the whirlpool is below in the water level.in that case do I really need ph strips?I know I don't need to use ph strips to check if its basified enough.For that I keep adding sodium hydroxide until its so slimy on my fingers that it won't wash off easy with water.

Red_Crown

Don't rub too much..
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 06:30:00 AM »
The base will dissociate readily when it hits the initially acidic aqueous layer (thus invisible), so any whirlpool you can see is between the NP solvent and the base solultion as it's travelling down to the aqueous layer.   Above ph=7, the base solution you're adding won't be able to dissociate so quickly, or at all, and what is visible to the swirl-watcher is either precipitate or diffuse interfaces between the two liquids as they mix. I think.

Now, I would advise against feeling your solution until it feels "slimey". Sodium Hydroxide is a strong base (in case you missed any warnings on the package).  The whole reason strong bases feel slimey is that they're persistantly dissolving your skin cells (see: Caustic). In contrast, when a strong acid gets on your skin, it denatures the proteins causing a ~'melted' barrier of protein past which the acid cannot go further. Strong bases will keep on digging. Luckily we're composed of water -among other things- which may  nuetralize the "slippery" solution before it bores all the way through the appendage in question.  

Needless to say: NOT a good experimental technique!

peregrine

Slimey is bad on the fingers
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 04:10:00 PM »
Thankyou for that advice red_crown.I've been using that system for a while now.I guess I better go back to the ph strips.Even when I go acid i do it by eye and can see the shit falling into the water levelI also check it by rubbing it on my fingers and once I dont feel any more slimey shit i go for it .It always seems to come out alright.I think I will go back to the ph strips .ThANKS FOR THE IMPUT