Author Topic: Need help with last step in birch  (Read 2521 times)

pimptripper

Need help with last step in birch
« on: January 07, 2004, 04:55:00 PM »

wareami

Read the whole thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 06:54:00 PM »

Post 265010

(VideoEditor: "New Clean Gassing Method!", Newbee Forum)

pimptripper

thats what i thought it meant but just had to...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »
thats what i thought it meant but just had to be sure. oh I have another question. What does this step do?
"remove the reaction vessel from the ice bath. Place a lid on it with a tube going to the bottom of a five gallon bucket with about 1 1/2-2 gallons of water inside. to this water add 1/5th gallon of muriatic acid."

dont be too suprised but theres another part thats not  crystal  clear. "Separate the NP and rinse with 2 small volumes of NaOH solution (PH 13), then with a small volume of distilled water." How do you "rinse" a liquid. and to get baked epsoms, it it really just baked epsom salt or what. Any help is apreciated.

banshee

The hose going to the bucket with mury in it.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 07:12:00 AM »
The hose going to the bucket with mury in it. This keeps the anny smell from speading everywhere.

You are raising the (ph)for gassing and cleaning impurities.
Yes it is epsom salts (200F for 20 min)give or take or microwave do not know the times though.

pimptripper

Thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 08:07:00 AM »

marykane

so to "rinse" you simply add lye...
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »
so to "rinse" you simply add lye untill your ph is 13, is this right? And I read somewhere else on this site that baked epsoms should be baked at 350 degrees for 3 hours, the two times are pretty far apart, which is right? and how much salt do you use, and how long do you leave it in before filtering it out?

SHORTY

"Rinsing"
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 07:48:00 AM »
"Rinsing" has nothing to do with adding lye.  You need to spend more time reading.  All you need to know is here if you just take the time to find and read it.