Author Topic: DCM, TCE alternative  (Read 2962 times)

Bandil

DCM, TCE alternative
« on: October 10, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
Hi!

I just ran around all town to find some TCE to use as DCM. It seems that TCE has been outlawed this year. What can i use as substitute? Its for dissolving the oxidation product from isosas with peracetic acid... Can hexane be used instead?

Thanks!

Regards
Peter

cilliersb

Re: DCM, TCE alternative
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2001, 02:29:00 PM »
The solvent for this RXN does not need to be non-polar. The answer is Methanol dude. You only need the solvent in the H2SO4 reflux to keep the temp down during reflux.

Methanol can easily be baught from your local pharmacy, or even denatured alchohol would work fine!

Read the damn synth man! 8)

Bandil

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
No, methanol cannot be used for the extraction as it is miscible with water. I need a non polar solvent. I guess i should have stated that a little more clear. It is for the extraction of the glycol i need the solvent. Rhodium mentions TCE as an alternative, but this i cannot get withing the next few days/weeks and the mixture has to be separated ASAP.

So any non-polar suggestions on what to use... Hexane?

Regards
Peter

Rhodium

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2001, 02:56:00 PM »
ether, toluene, hexane (in decreasing order of desirability).

Bandil

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2001, 03:07:00 PM »
OK, ill go for the hexane. Do you think three extractions are enough, when using hexane? I getting some DCM in two weeks, but for now ill settle for the hexane.

Is it going to totally kill my yeilds?

Thanks!

Rhodium

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2001, 03:12:00 PM »
Make that 4 extractions (or until the extracts aren't much colored anymore). Then you should have your ketone.