Author Topic: celery/apiole  (Read 3493 times)

Maighstir

celery/apiole
« on: October 02, 2001, 03:44:00 AM »
Supermarked celery can contain up to 23% apiole. My question is this. What methods can I use to get the stuff out of the plant. Is it only possible by steamdest. or can it be extracted in some other way.

Maighstir.

Vae victis meretrix est et mors venit.

Rhodium

Re: celery/apiole
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2001, 03:49:00 AM »
That is not true. It is at most that percentage of apiole in the essential oil of celery (which is not a large portion of the weight of the celery root).

terbium

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2001, 07:06:00 PM »
Isn't it celery seed oil that is the article of commerce?

PrimoPyro

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2001, 01:43:00 AM »
Quote:

"What did I say this thing (Apiole) came from? Parsley? Well, sure. But, I had no idea how varied the Apiole content can get in this species, And I was pleasantly surprised to find Apiole in other oils as well. Check it out:

Celery Oil: (Apium graveolens) The leaves of supermarket celery have 23% apiole [72]. Wow!"

Strike, Sources, Page 112. (1998).

PrimoPyro

Go To:

http://www.gunsforkids.com

and

http://www.fucktoysrus.com

Member: C_F Fan Club

Maighstir

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2001, 08:30:00 AM »
Yep, that's what I've read. So did Strike make a mistake? Is it the oil or the leaves of the plant as you buy it from the supermarket? It's probably the oil right? But then celery is cheap and the oil isn't that hard to obtain (by steamdestillation) but I would like to know if there is another possibility to extract the apiole (directly from the plantmatter). Is there an easier way?

Maighstir.

terbium

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2001, 06:32:00 PM »
My guess would be that Stike's info. here is wrong.

Osmium

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2001, 07:42:00 AM »
If it contained that much you couldn´t eat celery without barfing all over the place.

Maighstir

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »
I'm not so sure. How much celery can a person eat? Celery is pretty aromatic so you aren't likely to eat a lot of the fresh plant. Therefore there must be a lot of oil in the plant and 23% of that oil doesn't sound that rediculous.

Maighstir.

PrimoPyro

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2001, 03:05:00 PM »
You dont eat celery leaves, which is where the oil is supposedly contained. You eat the stalk, which is mostly water.

PrimoPyro

Go To:

and

Maighstir

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2001, 03:23:00 PM »
Ok, and why don't you eat the leaves? Maybe because they're ineatable as a result of high concentrations of arom. substances.

I'm not trying to be annoying, I just want to know if Strike was really wrong or not. I want that apiole.

Maighstir.

PrimoPyro

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2001, 03:32:00 PM »
Ok, just so you're aware of what you said: You really mean that ypu're HOPING thats true, the reason you cant eat the leaves. What I mean is, do you have conclusive evidence that that is the reason you cant eat the leaves, or are you speculating? Try eating some leaves, and see what they taste like, I think they will taste like........leaves. If they taste a little like apiole, there you go. Look for what else apiole is in, or what tastes like apiole, then compare the two tastes for a crude answer: does it have any apiole in it at all?

PrimoPyro

Go To:

and

Maighstir

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2001, 03:58:00 PM »
I think I'll do that and maybe, if I eat enough of that shit, I'll lose some weight in the proces too.

Maighstir.

boppesz

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
Excuse me. When you spend half an hour on looking on the net about Celery leaf oil, you'll find out that there's only a few percentages oil of the DRY leafs!!!. This oil may contain 10-30 % apiole. So from 1 kg leafes you may get 1 gram apiole at the highest. So buy some of this oil somewhere. It's an essential oil

cilliersb

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2001, 06:03:00 AM »
Celery and Parsley are very similar in regard to their variation in oil content.

Here is some info on the different parsley strains with their oil constituents.

Main constituents
There are three cultivated varieties, which in part differ by their chemisms. Var. latifolium (broad-leaved) and var. crispum (curly-leaved) are grown for their leaves, and var. tuberosum is grown for its root.
The essential oils of leaves and root show approximately the same composition. The main components (10-30%) are myristicin, limonene and 1,3,8-p-menthatriene; minor components are mono- and sesquiterpenes. The curly varieties (var. crispum) tend to be richer in myristicin, but contain much less essential oil than var. latifolium (0.01 and 0.04%, respectively).

In contrast, the essential oil from the fruits (3-6%) is either dominated by myristicin (60 to 80%; mostly var. tuberosum and var. crispum) or by apiole (70%; mostly var. latifolium). A third chemical race shows allyl tetramethoxy benzene (55 to 75%), which can also appear in apiol-dominated oils (up to 20%).

8)  8)

Antibody2

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2001, 05:58:00 PM »

(60 to 80%; mostly var.  tuberosum and var. crispum) or by apiole (70%; mostly var. latifolium). A third chemical race shows allyl   tetramethoxy benzene (55 to 75%),

i put my kid to bed stories like that. count yourself very lucky with 25-30 % myristicin.

"All those memories lost like rain..."