Author Topic: What's better?  (Read 1358 times)

DjTime

What's better?
« on: August 11, 2003, 12:17:00 AM »
when putting a disstalation setup together, what is best to use. Vaseoline or silicone grease? The grease is that the kind you buy in the automotive section? also when doing an atmospheric nitromethane disstalation do i just use a regular vacuum adapter with no vacuum or just a bent adapter. Thanks alot

-peace

foxy2

Re: also when doing an atmospheric ...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 04:12:00 AM »

also when doing an atmospheric nitromethane disstalation do i just use a regular vacuum adapter with no vacuum or just a bent adapter

Either will work, but I think a plain bent adapter is preferable.

when putting a disstalation setup together, what is best to use. Vaseoline or silicone grease? The grease is that the kind you buy in the automotive section?

High temp silicone would be better than vasaline.  Use the smallest amount of grease possible, its only to prvent your glassware from sticking together, you don't want it to contaminate your product.  Apply it, then wipe off any excess with a paper towel.

ScuzZ

Vaseline
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 02:18:00 PM »
Of all the setups swim has owned he's found that vaseline is the best, it doesn't clump up under pressure or under high temperatures.

Swim isn't sure, but there have been a few rumours about that the silicone can leak into the setup and cause contaminations.

terbium

Use silicone grease.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 04:00:00 PM »
Of all the setups swim has owned he's found that vaseline is the best, it doesn't clump up under pressure or under high temperatures.
This is the first that I have heard of this. One would have to wonder why professional chemists use silicone grease if petroleum jelly (Vaseline) is better.

Swim isn't sure, but there have been a few rumours about that the silicone can leak into the setup and cause contaminations.
And so could petroleum jelly. The reason that you have heard this about silicone grease and not petroleum jelly is because siicone grease is what professional chemists routinely use.