Author Topic: ka-boom!! went the pop bottle the data  (Read 1828 times)

smutboy420

ka-boom!! went the pop bottle the data
« on: May 14, 2003, 04:12:00 AM »
the wacker pop bottle destructive testing data.
WARNING!!! DON'T TRY THIS IN YOUR BED ROOM!!! at night while yur folks are sleeping. 8)
i was up late at nights worrying about all the discusion that there has been in regards to 2 litter pop bottle wackers. not that i would even want to use one. but just beeing one that likes date. and was board so this is what i did. i made a simulated test wacker. to see just ware is the break point on one. i rigged it up on the quick using a
philips screw driver to poke out a hole and a stake knife to ream out the hole in the cap of the thinest pop bottle i could find. pulled a tire valve threw it. and that was it. (i din't want it to bee 100% perfect to reflect some one slacking and not making thers perfect) took it to swims testing site. it was filled with hot water 1/4 way and filled to 80psi using compressed air. it took that no prob. put the cap end under water to check for air leaks. it made a tiny pin sized bubble every 10 seconds or so that would get about the size of a pot seed and break off. so it was pretty air tight at 80psi and warm. next test i dumped the water out and filled it with just air to 175psi. oh boy! i can feel the force in that puppy. rock hard. now it leaks under water a bit more but still id say its holding very tight. and its just 1 tiny spot by the base of the valve stem. let it sit for a day psi dropped to 170psi. now the fun part i filled it to 200psi high as the psi goes on. on that baby. i considered hooking it up to a tank of compresssed N2 and trying to go for even higher but i dint want to waist the gas. so i decided 200 psi was a pretty good amount. now i know it WILL hold that. i started to wonder what kind of failure it would have if it did blow. so i shot it with a pellet rifle. the first shot bounced right off (this is a good pellet gun to) the second shot peirced it. ka-boom!!!!!!!!! that fucker was way way louder then i thought it would bee. it was like fireworks with out sparks.it made my ears ring. it shreaded to hell. the tire valve went about 170-180 feet away. all i can say is you would never never want one to go off in some ones hands of face.
but now we have SOME real date! on the higher ends sence most pepol can only get to 80-120 on a reg compresser or tire pump to test there wacker.

scram

You are fucking crazy.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 03:21:00 PM »
You are fucking crazy. I've pumped one up w/air to 100 psi and I thought that was pushing it. They hold 80 psi of warm water forever. But, the problem is when the wacker becomes exothermic and exceeds 45c you'll get a blowout as low as 25 psi. First hand experience here has shown that 35 psi is the max at 45c and anything higher than 55c forget it at anything above 25psi. If your lucky, the when the system is not being monitored by a lab assistant, you'll get an even uptake of 02 from 45 psi down to a complete vacuum bottle during the heat spike. I've witnessed this many times ~7 grams 02 absorbed in < 1.5 hours.