Author Topic: Microwave modification to monomode  (Read 2376 times)

Organikum

Microwave modification to monomode
« on: March 10, 2002, 02:38:00 PM »
I had it already on my disk, perhaps it is, somewhere stored, but not to find by now - also on thy net it seems to have vanished.
So I need,
A file, a link, a hint on:

HOW TO MODIFY A MICROWAVE TO RUN MONOMODE

and of course: where is thy front and where thy rear part of a screwdriver?

merci
ORGY

"I hope I'm becoming more eccentric. More room, you know.
 More room in the brain."

mnkyboy77

Re: Microwave modification to monomode
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2002, 09:04:00 PM »
The front and rear end of the screw driver are easy assertained, but vary depending on the direction one is veiwing the tool.  The rear (handle) of the screwdriver (usually--remember, there are always exceptions) is the thicker end.  It is comminly coated or incased in a hard plastic.  This would be the end that goes into the palm of ones hand.

The front (tip) is usually metal and comes w/ a varity of designs.  They range from -, + to even *.  The more commin are that of the + and - design.  These tips are made to be inserted into a screw, (lookes like a nail, but has spirals going up it and the head is more thicker).  The top of the screw should be matched with a screwdriver whos tip resembles the opposite plane. (Think of the screwdriver as the 'male' and the screw as the 'female'.  The male goes into the female--again, there is exceptions).

With the screwdriver's tip mated w/ the screw, one should proceed with turning the handle of the screwdriver in a counter-clockwise direction to remove the screw.  To insert the screw, do the same as above except turn the handel in a clockwise direction.

Good Luck!

As far as the link...Sorry, haven't seen that either.

--Why '77', You get "Eight" more!!!--

Organikum

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2002, 03:22:00 PM »
Thanks, but thy monomode, thy monomode.....

I´m shure someone out there knows. Damn.
If ya don´t want to post please PM me.

searching
ORGY

(now I know how to work with a screwdriver there´s no more danger!) ;)

More room in the brain."

Elementary

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2002, 05:16:00 PM »
Microwave modification to monomode ????????

http://www.mdpi.net/ecsoc-5/e0000/e0000.htm

Does it mean that just one magnetron is used ?
And multimode is using two magnetrons ?

Umm, how interesting !!

Rhodium

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2002, 05:56:00 PM »
No, it has to do with the microwave radiation being focused in a narrow beam aimed directly at the reaction container (monomode), or a dispersed radiation throughout the inner space of the oven (multimode, normal mw-oven). From the paper above:

Another question that is intensely debated in the microwave community is the issue of using multimode versus monomode instruments. In multimode microwave cavities (conceptually similar to a domestic oven), the microwaves that enter the cavity are being reflected by the walls and the load over the typically large cavity. A mode stirrer ensures that the field distribution is as homogeneous as possible. In the much smaller mono- or single-mode cavities, only one mode is present and the electromagnetic irradiation is directed through an accurately designed wave guide onto the reaction vessel mounted in a fixed distance from the radiation source.

Organikum

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2002, 07:27:00 PM »

No, it has to do with the microwave radiation being focused in a narrow beam aimed directly at the reaction container (monomode), or a dispersed radiation throughout the inner space of the oven (multimode, normal mw-oven). From the paper above:

Thats (as far as I know), not correct. Monomode says that thy energy delivered by thy magnetron is steady and homogenous, yes, but thy problem with a household microwave oven is that it delivers pulsed energy because they work by charging a capacitor over a transformer and a diode by doubling the voltage. This means that ya have 50 or 60 Hertz pulsed energy output. Thy searched (very simple as I remember) modification changes thy input to a steady one, so also a steady output is resulted. Thy delivery of thy energy without "standing waves" (with energy concentrations on single spots)is another problem but easy to solve if ya take no waveguide at all and an irregular shaped cavity.
Monomode in thy sense of "not pulsed" would be more on thy point I believe.
If I got it wrong, please correct me.

leeching knowledge
ORGY

More room in the brain."

Rhodium

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2002, 08:40:00 PM »
That is also true. Physics is not my strongest subject.

Elementary

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2002, 09:09:00 PM »
If the voltage is increased using a diode capacitor network, then this can be changed easily to dc by a simple diode and a capacitor also (rectifier and capacitor).

Of course the diode and capacitor would have to be HV rated.

I have a good artical about diode/capacitor voltage increasing networks, I will scan it in a make it available in a while.

Umm, how interesting !!

Elementary

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2002, 09:53:00 PM »
Here is the artical about voltage multipliers. (pages 1&2)

http://www.geocities.com/c6h5uk/vm1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/c6h5uk/vm2.jpg

(if the links are down due to traffic please PM me)

This is the type of circuit you will need to rectify and smooth the high voltage AC to DC

Both the diode and the capacitor need to be high voltage types. The values of both components need to calculated according to the current drawn and the voltage.

Umm, how interesting !!

UKBEE

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2002, 12:19:00 AM »
have a look at MASER's plans on the net...they go into detail about converting to monomode and making your own wave guides...one of the projects i built managed to burn a hole in some sheets on a washing line about 100m away 300W monomode beam 1.5cm wide.. :-)

I love the smell of Ketone in the morning.

Elementary

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2002, 12:55:00 AM »
What the web address for MASER's plans ?

Umm, how interesting !!

mnkyboy77

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2002, 02:09:00 AM »
Do please post a link for the mods.

As far as the modification goes...LEAVE IT FOR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING.  SWIM has seen the wonderful effects of caps.  Hell, he even watched a TV repair man go across the TUBE and fly back.  The repair man figured that because the TV hadn't been plugged in for over a month that there was no charge. Wrong! He learned. (Yes, the TV tube is a large ass cap...2 dielectrics seperated by a insulator, the thick glass).  The point being, if you HAVE experiance around HV and the such, attempt this at will.  If not, there will be a opening here at the hive then.

--Why '77', You get "Eight" more!!!--

Elementary

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2002, 03:49:00 AM »
I agree !!!

Know what your doing first, HV has a nasty way of finding you !!! And we're not talking about static electricity here we are talkng about HV with enough current to kill you !!!

By the way getting a DC shock is far worse than AC, with AC you have the chance (if you are lucky) of letting go, DC will lock your muscles.

BTW : if these MASER plans are for killing machines then don't post, PM me with the link, I am interested in the peacefull electronics/chemistry adaptations only)

Umm, how interesting !!

Organikum

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2002, 04:19:00 AM »
You are right.
I noway advised anybody to do modifications on a microwave oven. Thy microwaves can easily blind ya. Thy high voltage can jump at you over an astongishing distance and will kill ya. If ya not dead ya will suffer severe nerve damage. Small gaps in thy shielding work as an antenna multiplying and directing thy radiation.

for information on microwave and waveguide technology go:

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book11/

(if ya want to make shure a button is pushed, put a "DON`T PUSH" sign on it) >:(

I lost a link, not my mind! :-[
ORGY

More room in the brain."

Organikum

And this is how it is done
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2002, 03:05:00 AM »

the solution is:

this is a voltage doubler circuit witch does not peak only every second halfwave.

But meanwhile I realized that the main problem of using household microwaves is the fact that they have much to much power (800W). This and the true "nonintuitive" behavier of MW´s makes it hard to use them for something else but drying of drying agents.

solution:

Post 281405

(Elementary: "Re: Microwave modification to monomode", Chemicals & Equipment)

rewiring the microwave as shown by elementary gives you monomode and power is cut by half. So your 800W overkill gets a smooth ~450W monomode.
Regulation of the output energy can be easily achieved by placing more or less water as ballast in the cave.

You should know what you are doing if you do this.
But it is far from rocket science.

ORGY

~ Love is the law, love under will. ~