Author Topic: Dimethyl sulfate hell  (Read 2053 times)

El_Zorro

Dimethyl sulfate hell
« on: December 03, 2002, 07:46:00 AM »
Alright, where the hell does a non-professional chemist get DMS??  I guess I could make some MeI, but I don't have LG RP, and I don't feel like getting the HUGE amounts of matchbooks that would be required to make the amount of MeI worthwhile.  I've thought about saying fuck it and just running a reaction like the one at Rhodium's site to make diethyl sulfate, just substituting methanol.

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/diethylsulfate.html

But then, there's also the huge risk of cancer. :(   And there's this little warning

Post 376738

(Rhodium: "Dimethyl sulfate", Chemistry Discourse)
about making it yourself from Rhodium, who also thinks that it's not really quite as dangerous as people make it out to be, provided proper lab procedures are carried out.  So that just makes me wonder just how dangerous making it yourself would actually be.  Would that reaction even work?  Do any bees have any experience with it?  Does anyone have any thoughts on DMS?

It is seductive, way too seductive.             -Eleusis

moo

Read these first
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 09:41:00 AM »
For the preparation of dimethyl sulfate (DMS)

Post 278794

(halfapint: "Re: Dimethyl/Diethyl Sulfate", Chemistry Discourse)
seems to be the easiest synthesis, read the whole thread too. Then there are also

Post 208007

(legionbob: "OTC preperation of Dimethyl sulfate?", Tryptamine Chemistry)
and

Post 55178 (missing)

(dildoque: "DMS", Chemistry Discourse)
. I could've said UTFSE but I guess posting links to the good stuff also makes UTFSE easier.

Protium

Just to avoid any confusion
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 09:58:00 AM »
There is a big difference between DMS and DMS.  That is, dimethyl sulfide, and dimethyl sulfate.  Threw me off for a second reading it until I realized that both share the same acronym.

Pr(+)tium

Rhodium

Got a fume hood?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 11:58:00 AM »
Zorro: If you have a fume hood, then making it yourself is no problem, it has been discussed extensively by Halfapint and Antoncho et al.