Author Topic: whats in my used rp  (Read 4283 times)

Alexander_Monday

whats in my used rp
« on: February 19, 2004, 01:14:00 AM »
Hypothetically speaking, lets say someone has a container that they save all their used rp in following a reaction for later use when their new unused supply runs out. Do you think there might be anything good still in it. Lets say one were to mix it with hot dh20 then strain the wash water off and do your standard a/b on it. I'm talking about 1/2 a lbs worth of rp. Do you think anything  nice would come out of it.

wareami

One way....
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 02:24:00 AM »
Only one way to find out and SWIAM probably won't rest til he finds out for sure....
And may not rest after either ;)
This would depend HIGHly on how well the Used RP was washed to begin with!
If several sloppy cleanings/filterings were done post-rxn, than chances are that some of the yields thought low previously were actually hiding in the overlooked places...
Undersights for rain-E daze!
But don't take Ibee's word for it!
SWIAM has to clean it an-E-waze for the next runs.
Just use hot dh2o.
No solvents until after the water washes and then only to refine the RP for future use.
Don't work up the solvent washes. Trash `em
Ibee was in a hurry one time eons ago on a 5g run and dumped the whole flask contents into the filtration device after adding dh2o and then added more dh2o to the flask to clean and poured over top the red and filtered and saved the whole lot in the filter after squeezing.
Only came back at 3.2g and Ibee was stumped over that!
Three daze later opened that filter with the RP and it was a clumped ball and kinda sticky.
Guess ware 1.4g was hiding?
Reinforces the old adage....Never be in a hurry til it all lines UP! :)

ChemoSabe

Better bet is from Old Xylene Rinse
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 02:34:00 AM »
For a quick a batch on a rainy day (and it is raining today isn't it?) swims buddy turns to his old reliable post rxn rinse xylene storage bottle. A little bit of water always tags along with that dirty yellow wash NP. This little bit of water is always loaded with FB and the the amount of it gradualy builds up over time.

Swims buddy pours a final dose of boiling water over the RP immediately after filtering it out of the post rxn mix to both rinse the residuals out of the flask and out of the RP. The RP is then cleaned before it dries so his particular lab habits would most likey make trying to now get even more product from the used RP a fruitless excercise.

But your own lab habits may have caused a situation in which mining your old RP for more goodies might actually be fruitful. If you don't regularly give your freshly filtered RP a hot water rinse or give the post rxn solution a few good NP rinses/washings then this may actually be the case.

If so give it a go and let us know.

SHORTY

Depends on the rp
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 05:27:00 AM »
Was it lab grade rp or mbrp?  If it was labgrade then you should be able to use it till its gone.  If it is mbrp then at least half of it will not be rp.  If it was mbrp and it was only used once then clean it and it should work fine as long as you increase the ratio.

You can't a/b rp.  Don't add base to it.  I would boil it in dh2o a few times and allow it to dry.

geezmeister

old post
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 03:26:00 PM »
check out this old post:

Post 362811 (missing)

(geezmeister: "once upon a time", Stimulants)

autumn_lamb

whats in my used rp
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 09:44:00 AM »
she would say a tidy little sum is in there. it does not matter whether it is lg or mbrp. at the time of the original rxn, if you merely filtered the red without boiling the rp post-rxn (along with the filters that were used to keep the rp out of the honey) boiling the filters and rp will yield a tidy little sum given the amount you have, well worth the time. add enough dh20 to a beaker containing the rp and filters to cover it. bring to a boil slowly and reduce heat to a simmer for a few minutes. filter (be meticulous) then do a standard ab on it as if it were your original honey.

she thinks you'll be pleasantly surprised.

oops, shorty, she thinks that you may have understood him to mean whether his rp is re-usable. she understood him to mean whether or not there were any goodies hiding in the leftovers...

SHORTY

Your right
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »
I don't know why i was thinking that after reading the original post.  So i agree with Autumn_lamb 100%. 

Make sure you let us know how it turns out.

casper

did i read this right why in the hell woulld...
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »
did i read this right why in the hell woulld you wanna a/b your rp???

wareami

Long Time No See Casper...
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 05:15:00 PM »
No you didn't read it right!
Salvaging any goodz trapped in the RP is better than trashing the goodz when cleaning the RP for the next runs!
Boil in dh2o to claim the last few legs of the journeys!
Some may think this an act of desperation....
Think again! It's called accounting for what was intended and boosts those initial yield reports that seemed sooooo low!
Once you see what was missed the first time, you'll develope ways of getting it AWE the first time!