Author Topic: feasible NH3 options (chemically prepared) Qs..  (Read 3786 times)

prerequisite

feasible NH3 options (chemically prepared) Qs..
« on: March 18, 2004, 04:54:00 PM »
I've been reading up on Birch Li/ammonia reactions, and everything was answered more or less.

one thing I wanted to show you was this:

http://mattson.creighton.edu/MicrowaveMethod/index.html

It's prepared by NH3OH, ammonia water of unknown (to me) %, and the product is presumably hydrated. But would contain a maximum of 1ml water since it was 1cc as the feedstock, right?
In my reading it was said that the reason ammonia water can't be used is because the OH consumes the Li at a rate of .33g per ml of H2O present. Thats not so bad is it?
Could Al be used to dehydrate?

What about using a syringe preparation like that as a starting point, and freezing it in-place and passing it through a drying tube?

Another query was about alternatives to ammonium chloride or nitrate. Are compounds which require heat, and decompose to release NH3 useable?

Such as Tetraamminecopper Sulfate [14283-05-7]

Additional name(s): Cuprammonium sul fate; ammonium cupric sulfate; cupric sulfate, ammoniated; Eau Molecular formula: CuH 12 N 4 O 4 S Molecular weight: Percent Composition: Cu 27.90%, H 5.31%, N 24.60%, O 28.10%, S Line Formula: [Cu(NH 3 ) 4 ]SO 4 Literature references: Prepd by dissolving copper sulfate in ammonia water and pptg with alcohol: Mazzi, Acta Cryst. 8, 137 (1955). Crystal structure of monohydrate: Morosin, ibid 25B, 19 (1969). Derivative:  Properties: large, dark blue crystals. d 4 20 1.81 . Ammonia odor, dec in air. Loses H 2 O and 2NH 3 on heating to 120degrees, remaining 2NH 3 at 160degrees. Soly in water at 21.5degrees: 18.5 g/100 ml. Practically insol in the lower alcohols. Density: d 4 20   USE: In textile printing, especially in calico finishing. As fungicide.

UncleFester

the labors of Hercules
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »
getting the water out of aqueous ammonia is like cleaning the Agean Stables

UncleFester

while I muse..
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 05:30:00 PM »
EDA is pretty easily availabe right now if one gets it from products meant for industrial uses...for example nickel stripper. Almost 10 years ago, I got a bottle of 99% EDA from a scientific chem supplier. Just for fun, I dropped a lithium battery anode into it...I dissolved to make royal blue...Oh, this is just too easy I thought, and kept it under my hat for a couple years...a few years later I tried the same bottle with a different battery model(the old one had been discontinued)...and all that happened was corrosion of the anode without royal blue. First I blamed the change on new anode compostion, but now I'm thinking along the lines that the bottle absorbed CO2 and water from the air, and that freshly distilled EDA after drying with KOH would work like that old fresh bottle...just musing as publishing season is upon me and you would have to get a book to read the results.

stratosphere

speaking of ethylene-diamine, simple ...
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »
speaking of ethylene-diamine, simple alkyl-diamines (e.g. 1,6-hexanediamine in sodium hydroxide) are one component of nylon making kits, the other component being a di-carboxylic acid-chloride in a N.P. solvent, i don't know how difficult it would be to isolate the dry alkyldiamine.

another option along this vain would be to hydrolyse nylon by refluxing in a 40%NaOH for probobly days, saturate the solution with salt or NaOH, extract the diamine into an N.P., distill off N.P.

prerequisite

NH3 options
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 02:14:00 PM »
How is EDA used here? Ill just search... or forget about it and concentrate on other NH3 sources.

I don't really understand why the NH3 isn't just reabsorbed by the H2O it was liberated from in the microwave preparation.

Do you know how much H2O is present in NH3 liberated from ammonium chloride and NaOH, if they are anhydrous to begin with?

Do you know of any easily acquired containers that could be used to allow in NH3 but not out, so it's compressed? (less cooling necessary)

Organikum

You might be interested in this: Post 496351
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 12:06:00 PM »
You might be interested in this:

Post 496351 (missing)

(Organikum: "NH3 - anhydrous", Methods Discourse)

prerequisite

Organikum, thats quite a nice preparation.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 05:38:00 AM »

Organikum

Prerequisite, you have really no clue what you
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »
Prerequisite, you have really no clue what you are talking of. I dont say this to take you down, but mainly for to warn others not to take serious what you post here.

Dont take it personally though.
ORG

Jade

Nice write up, Orgy!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »
I agree with you Orgy.   Prerequisite, please do some more research before you start playing around with this stuff.

prerequisite

latitude latitude, endless latitude for me please.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2004, 01:19:00 PM »

Jade

Excuse me?
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2004, 02:42:00 PM »
WTF?  What does one's gender have to do with it?  I was only trying to help you but, hey, go for it, Master Prerequisite!

Organikum

Oh, its not so hard to cool ammonia down -...
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2004, 02:48:00 PM »
Oh, its not so hard to cool ammonia down - much easier than getting it anhydrous btw. A coiled irontube in a bucket with icecooled water does the job as precooler with ease - the final cooling to liquid ammonia with dry-ice stays the same of course.

Some thoughts:
- ever heard of the specific heat of compounds?
(whereby the specufic heat of ammonia is quite high, but still low compared to water)
- ever heard that compressing gases rises the temperature?
- ever heard that kids should be polite to women?
- in special stupid kids?
- yes I talk about you, prerequisite, and now be so kind and go home, drink bleach and die.

regards
ORG

kris_1108

LOSER
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2004, 07:32:00 PM »

prerequisite

bleh, option.
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2004, 07:39:00 PM »

barkingburro

2 whole days or 2 half days with 8 hours of sleep
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 02:59:00 AM »
That's utter garbage, I've been studying the Birch for, going on 2days and I've ascertained that.
What am I misinforning about hmm? you don't even know, do you?>
i can't believe i just read that. 2 WHOLE days, u must have had some good dope to accomplish that.
here's a prerequisite to becoming a usefull and/or respected member of the hive. don't be such a complete jackass. your two days of study and sudden insight hold nothing to fester or organkium's years of aquired knowledge, experience, and/or practice. how the fuck do dumbasses like you even find this place?

2 days, that was rich