Author Topic: catalytic automotive converters PGM's  (Read 1886 times)

jimwig

catalytic automotive converters PGM's
« on: August 14, 2003, 09:13:00 PM »
In 1981 there appeared a publication of from SAE that stated an average PGM content of a catalytic converter was 0.0275oz. or 2.23 (or so)grams.

It further stated some extraction, base dissolution and other information concerning PGM recovery.

I will post relevant ref data if anyone is interested.

callen

Please Post
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 02:57:00 AM »
I am curious as to the feasibility of platinum recovery from catalytic converters, and would appreciate any info you could post covering this subject. Thanx in advance.

Dolemite

Seems easy enough....
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 10:13:00 AM »
"Within the processing facility, the catalysts are crushed prior to blending with lime and other additives. This mixture is fed through ports in the roof into a 2 MW water-cooled furnace at a rate of over one tonne per hour. A DC transferred arc cathode torch is installed through the roof. The anode return electrode consists of a graphite crucible built into the furnace hearth. The torch or graphite electrode maintains a controlled even melt temperature in the range of 1450-1650°C. The molten slag (mainly calcium aluminate), overflows continuously from the furnace and is collected for cooling and crushing. The PGM concentrates in the molten iron in the carbon hearth of the furnace until the PGM content of the iron reaches approximately 10%. The feed is then stopped, and the metal is tapped from the furnace. When the tapping is complete, the taphole is closed, more iron is added, and the cycle repeated."

No prob. :)

Seriously, though.  Can 10% platinum in iron be used as a catalyst in any reactions?

jimwig

PGM's
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2003, 01:09:00 AM »
I am referring to small scale (lab) recovery that some might find feasible. My gerbel can't run as fast as 2MW sounds.