Author Topic: Outrageous Eda Price!!!  (Read 2517 times)

DrLucifer

Outrageous Eda Price!!!
« on: March 03, 2004, 01:14:00 AM »
Well bees, I have been well and truly fucked over...by a greedy little stooge who profits in obtaining unobtainable chemicals!!  >:(
I was originally quoted $150/2.5L of AR Eda right.
The goods came off the docks yesterday and i have just come from the merchants house...without the goods, because the dirty little cunt is now saying that the Eda cost $650/2.5L!! Can you believe it? I was virtually shaking with rage when he told me and i damn well had to restrain myself from cutting his fuckin throat!
He went blue in the face trying to tell me that the inflated price was because it cost him alot more than he orignally thought blah blah blah, you get the idea!!  :P
Anyway, I would like to ask a big favour of bees...Could you guys check your local chem catalogues/price lists etc and check if Eda is sold, and if so, price/quantity!!
I would realllly appreciate this, because I need to know whether EDA is normally this expensive or if my fat little friend is pulling the wool over my eyes. Thanks

chronic_cook

Smells like bacon
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 02:08:00 AM »

Rhodium

It seems like you asked for too pure EDA...
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 06:28:00 PM »
Aldrich ethylenediamine prices:

1000ml 99.5%+ - $450
2500ml 99% - $40

DrLucifer

Ow that hurt!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 07:53:00 AM »
Godammit, nothing ever swings in my favour, not ever!!!
I think Im going to cop this one on the chin!!  ::)
Cheers Rhodium, much appreciated mate, i guess next time i'll know better...!
Oh well, wish me luck boys  ;)  8)  :P

UncleFester

cheap EDA
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 01:42:00 AM »
As I noted in SOMM 6 (or was it 5??) EDA is pretty easily available in 5 gallon pails as the "B" component in many brands of nickel stripper. One only has to come up with the cover story that you are repairing old jewelry and so the old decorative (bright or watts)nickle has to come off before replating on a new polished surface. The EDA has the function of complexing the nickel stripped by the "A" ingredient m-nitrobenzene sulfonic acid. That's all you need to know to sound like a pro, and I hope you feel like a dope for not getting the book. The quality is variable ranging from needing a drying with KOH and a distill to needing a fractional distill, drying with KOH, and a distill. Hope your face returns to normal color soon.

UncleFester

Ooops! I forgot the price!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 02:17:00 AM »
The price for this technical grade EDA is a few bucks a pound. I hope that made your shopping experience more enjoyable.