Author Topic: Aluminum Bars?  (Read 2446 times)

mtnfrogger198

Aluminum Bars?
« on: March 26, 2003, 08:33:00 PM »
Is it possible to use larger pieces of aluminum in the Al/Hg reduction? It seems to me that the lowered surface area would be made up for by the ability to magnetically stir the mixture much better.

Has anyone had any luck with this method?

mtnfrogger198

Setup Explaination
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 08:51:00 PM »
Let me explain my proposed setup. You have a RBF that is being stirred magnetically. So, the 1" stirbar sits on the bottom. Aluminum bars are cut to fit sideways in the middle part of the RBF. The bars sit so that they do not interfere with the magnetic stirbar. This allows rapid mixing, without getting all bound up with little aluminum chunks.

Antibody2

some use Al sheet, but haven't heard of anyone
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 08:53:00 PM »
some use Al sheet, but haven't heard of anyone using bars, it would be a very long reaction time and without sufficiently violent stirring the amine can form a layer over the exposed Al causing the rxn to stop. have seen this happen in acidic oxime redxns using thick Al sheet that was rolled up in a stirred rxn vessel, the redxn stalled when the Al became coated with the acetate salt

mtnfrogger198

... Your Breaking Up ...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 08:58:00 PM »
That's kinda what I thought. I wasn't sure that there would be layer formation with good stirring, but this isn't a problem with Al-foil, since the shit breaks up so rapidly.

Anyone who has tried Al-bars: input would be helpful.

yellium

Why don't you try Al-bars yourself, and tell...
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2003, 09:09:00 PM »
Why don't you try Al-bars yourself, and tell us the result?

mtnfrogger198

Al-loo-min-ium
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2003, 11:06:00 PM »
Hehe. Ok, I'll try it myself. I was just hoping for some input before wasting any precious chems...  :(

yellium

And BTW, it is aluminium.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 11:08:00 PM »
And BTW, it is aluminium.

mtnfrogger198

Pronunciation...
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 11:18:00 PM »
Yes, but the Brit's pronounce it: "Al-loo-min-ium."  :P