Author Topic: MDP2P / MD Benzene + Acetone cat. Mn(III)  (Read 2665 times)

Jan1983

MDP2P / MD Benzene + Acetone cat. Mn(III)
« on: June 24, 2002, 05:26:00 AM »
MDP2P / MD Benzene + Acetone cat. Mn(III)

As i read in TFSE 1,4 dimethoxy benzene + acetone catalysed by Mn(III) can be used to obtain MDP2P -Al/Hg/MeNO2-> MDMA!!

so here my question:

can 1,3 dimethoxy benzene also be used ?

Chemistry are not only the things that stink. :)

raffike

Probably yes.Differences between of them is that ...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2002, 06:28:00 AM »
Probably yes.Differences between of them is that just position of one methoxy group differs a little.It is still attached to benzene ring just to 3 position instead of 4.It shouldn't make much if any difference in reaction.Again i'm not 100% sure so wait for confirm or denial from anybody more experienced.

A friend with speed is a friend indeed

hypo

wut??
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2002, 06:40:00 AM »
jan: please post the # of the post you found this info in.

neither 1,3-dimethoxy-benzene nor 1,4-dimethoxy-benzene are useful
for making MDP2P. (look at the molecules and try to see how that
should work...)

what 1,4-dimethoxy-benzene might be good for is 2,5-dimethoxy-P2P,
a precursor to the DOx series.

terbium

Magic!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2002, 06:46:00 AM »
As i read in TFSE 1,4 dimethoxy benzene + acetone catalysed by Mn(III) can be used to obtain MDP2P
Wow! That is a pretty neat trick, not only move the location of the phenyl ethers but convert them from methoxys to methylenedioxys as well. This must be something from the Harry Potter School of Chemistry.

so here my question:

can 1,3 dimethoxy benzene also be used ?

1,3 dimethoxybenzene can be used for a lot of things. What is it that you are asking about?

carboxyl

??
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2002, 10:01:00 AM »
The heading to your post says MD benzene, but the body says
1,4 dimethoxy benzene. WTF? typo?

former_chemist

substituted benzenes to ketones via Friedel-Craft
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2002, 07:17:00 PM »
You could use said substituted benzenes in a friedel-crafts reaction with 1-chloroacetone.  This will yield a lot of side products. Depending on the substituants the side products may be very hard to separate.  There must not be any ketone or alcohol groups attached to the benzene. You  need about 2.1 moles of catalyst to 1 mole of 1-chloroacetone.  The benzene compound must be used in great excess (10 moles or more).

Jan1983

stoned
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2002, 10:48:00 PM »
Sorry guys i was to far away from planet that i haden't read what i wrote, so here my corrected question:

can 1,3 diMeO benzene be used make DMA as starting matrial for dob or doi ?

foxy2

lol
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2002, 11:43:00 PM »
Looks like your still on a far away planet!

It should bee 1,4

This place might help

http://www.chemfinder.com/

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Jan1983

no i am back
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2002, 11:57:00 PM »
i only wanted to know if it is possible to make anything psychoactive out of the 1,3 diMeO benzene. so thanks foxy to get me back to earth

Trypstar

substitution products
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2002, 03:55:00 AM »
If you'd use 1,3-dimethoxybenzene in the manganese catalyzed acetonylation there will be several products.
Like 2,4-DMP2P, 3,5-DMP2P and 2,6-DMP2P. These may serve as precursors for, let's say 2,4-DMA, 3,5-DMA and 2,6-DMA,  but not for the DOB/DOI derivatives.
Using 1,4-dimethoxybenzene only yields 2,5-DMP2P, which of course is a very valuable precursor for the DOB/DOI derivatives.

lab_bitch

palladium
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2002, 11:05:00 AM »
Palladium can be used to couple a nucleophile to an aromatic ring.  It's in a book I have, so I'll check up on it.  In basic solution, acetone becomes deprotonated to some extent at the alpha carbons, so it would be a nucleophile.  Under the right conditions, this might just work.

Trypstar

Why would you want to waste valuable Pd on this, ...
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2002, 11:20:00 AM »
Why would you want to waste valuable Pd on this, when you can acetonylate with a manganese catalyst?

lab_bitch

1) It is probably possible to use supported Pd in ...
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2002, 10:44:00 AM »
1) It is probably possible to use supported Pd in a heterogeneous reaction.  Therefore, it doesn't go to waste.

2) Pd does a better job at just about any catalyzation than anything else.