Author Topic: difference between lg and commercial grades  (Read 1328 times)

bdbro

difference between lg and commercial grades
« on: July 09, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »
i am in south east asia, recently when purchasing some chems i saw that there are a variety with a huge difference in prices
1.hcl- there are two types, lg and commercial grade,
a)the lab grade is in a bottle and produced in england and costs u$68 for 2.5litres
b)and the other commercial grade hcl which is being used in the textile industry and is costing u$0.55cents for 2.5litres.(i am told it is 35% concentration.
as this is a big difference in price i am hoping i can use the hcl commercial grade as it will save me tons of cash
2.acetone- this also is a huge difference
lg quality acetone is costingu$50  for 2.5 litrres
and commercial grade which is also used in the textile industry for washing is costing u$5.06 for 2.5 litres

if anybody can advise if it is ok/not ok to use coomercial grade hcl and acetone for swims h3po2/i/pseudo synth
swim will be forever grateful
i hope this question is not going to be flamed as i already fse and fse  and fse!!!
thanks in advance

midway

commercial vs lg
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 05:31:00 PM »
the commercial grades of the hcl is more than likely just 30%hcl with the rest h2o and maybe a little dye...if you are just using it to re-acidify post reaction then youd certainly want commercial grade. Pure HCl is nasty stuff.

As for the acetone, its probably just watery as well, but they could be selling you some kind of paint thinning cocktail. Lab grade not really needed in this case either, if you want to dry it you can do that for much cheaper than what they are charging.