Author Topic: Trichloro isocyanuric acid from the sodium salt?  (Read 2243 times)

psychokitty

Trichloro isocyanuric acid from the sodium salt?
« on: April 12, 2002, 11:38:00 PM »
Does anybee have any ideas about how to go from sodium dichloro isocyanuric acid to trichloro isocyanuric acid?  The sodium salt seems to be more OTC available.

Aurelius

Purpose
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2002, 11:40:00 PM »
And just what might you do with that acid?

psychokitty

It has various uses, primarily as a mild oxidant ...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2002, 11:47:00 PM »
It has various uses, primarily as a mild oxidant for conversion of alcohols to ketones.

But the sodium salt of the acid is more readily available OTC whereas the free acid is not.

BTW, the free acid is the form of the acid used in the scientific literature.

Aurelius

Perhaps
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2002, 07:39:00 PM »
Maybe you could just form it in-situ with a strong but dilute acid such as HCl or H2SO4.  as long as your reactants aren't acid sensitive.

Hansje

chlorine
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2002, 01:02:00 PM »
That would have to be done very careful, otherwise shitloads of chlorine will evolve (I found out ::) ).

Hansje high in proteine and fibre!

Aurelius

Chlorine
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2002, 01:57:00 PM »
As long as the acid doesn't have to much oxidizing potential, that shouldn't be a problem.  perhaps a weaker, organic acid could be used.  Acetic acid, maybe?

Mountain_Girl

Trichloroisocyanuric acid
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2002, 05:22:00 AM »
PK:

Fortunately, where I come from the free acid (TCCA) is available OTC. Therefore I'd be very interested in any details concerning conversion of alcohols to ketones, or any other uses of this compound.

If TCCA is formed from:
cyanuric acid + 3Cl2 + 3NaOH,
DCCA (dichloroisocyanuric acid) from:
cyanuric acid + 2Cl2 + 2NaOH,
perhaps it would be possible to hydrolyze the DCCA sodium salt back to cyanuric acid, and then synth TCCA with the appropriate molar ratios of Cl2 and NaOH ?

paranoid

swimming
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2002, 11:16:00 PM »
I believe that trichloroisocyanuric acid is commonly found in swimming pool chlorinating pucks... I've worked for a pool company for the last few summers and I'm certain that's what's in them.  Smells terrible.