Author Topic: 2C-I Purity  (Read 1654 times)

raybeez

2C-I Purity
« on: February 08, 2003, 07:10:00 AM »
SWIM obtained a 1 gram sample of 2C-I from a supplier claiming 99% purity. Shulgin describes 2C-I in PHiKAL as "a white microcrystalline solid, with a mp of 246-247 °C."
SWIM's sample of 2C-I was an off white colour, and was found to have a melting point of 239-241 °C.

SWIM's sample was the HCl salt, as was the sample mentioned in PHiKAL. SWIM is wondering if the observed colour difference, and melting point difference would indicate some type of impurity in the product SWIM obtained. SWIM knows impurities can depress melting points, but is wondering if it might be from different methods used in recrystalization of final product.

Any input would be appreciated by SWIM.

Rhodium

Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 07:26:00 AM »
You might have either a hydrate, or maybe only 95% of the powder is 2C-I, the rest being unreacted 2C-H starting material. Recrystallize in acetonitrile, and dry at 25-45°C for 24h to evaporate all the solvent.

Barium

The majority of those research chemicals comes
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 12:20:00 PM »
The majority of those research chemicals comes from china and this is a problem. China has a very capable chemical industry when they put some effort into their work, but if one isn´t a high value customer they tend to fuck you in some way or another. The claimed purity of 99% is more often than not 80% in reality.

Sunlight

mp and solvents
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 03:34:00 PM »
I believe that the mp range can be diferent depending on the crystallization solvents, as well as the aspect, it can explain the diference. For instance this is from the Merck Index:
  5806.    MDMA. 
Hydrochloride, C11H15NO2.HCl, crystals from isopropanol/n-hexane, mp 147-148 deg (Bailey).  Crystals from
  isopropanol/ether, mp 152-153 deg (Braun).

Anyway I think the same that rhodium, a 95 % is reasonable.

Daphuk_up

I dont suppose
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2003, 05:23:00 AM »

I dont suppose it would just happen that 2C-I is legal in the US?  Arent all 2,5-Meo-phenthylamines listed?

Also, if one were to procure cure a sample of say 2C-I or 2C-T-2, is it possible to reduce/brominate to 2C-B? :P

raybeez

I dont suppose
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 06:05:00 PM »

I dont suppose it would just happen that 2C-I is legal in the US?  Arent all 2,5-Meo-phenthylamines listed?

Well, I don't live in the US, so I'm not exactly sure. You might be able to be prosecuted for it under the analogue act in your country, but I'm sure there's lots of discussion on this already in the Law and Order forum.

Vibrating_Lights

cleveavage
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2003, 08:13:00 PM »

Also, if one were to procure cure a sample of say 2C-I or 2C-T-2, is it possible to reduce/brominate to 2C-B....

Using ButLi will remove the I.  Add ButLi to the compound in THF then add water when you add the water the compound will be as you wish. suitable for bromination.  But i still say look harder.  This compound you wish for is commercialy available.
VL_

VL_