Author Topic: 3,4-dimethoxyphenylacetone?  (Read 5655 times)

demorol

3,4-dimethoxyphenylacetone?
« on: December 01, 2002, 05:10:00 AM »
I UTFSE and didn't find any good answers. I have some 3,4-DMP2P at home and I don't know what it could be used for. I have read that 3,4-DMPEA is inactive so I'll probably throw it away. But if you have any other ideas I would appreciate if you post them.

I'm dreaming of the white crystals.

Barium

Well, you could remove the two methyl groups with ...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2002, 06:33:00 AM »
Well, you could remove the two methyl groups with a strong acid (HBr or HI) and get 3,4-diOHP2P which could then be alkylated with NaOH/DCM to give 3,4-MDP2P. This should only be done with proper licenses at hand, naturally.

Catalytic hydrogenation freak

alphacentauri

Those ether bonds should be pretty strong, so ...
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2002, 01:10:00 PM »
Those ether bonds should be pretty strong, so quite difficult to break, if I'm not wrong. I too am interested in that cleavage to turn eugenol into safrole. Has anybody ever tried to break that bond boiling with conc. HCl?

moo

3,4-DM(M)A
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2002, 01:38:00 PM »
Did you notice that you won't be able to synthesize the inactive 3,4-dimethoxyphenetylamine (3,4-DMPEA) from 3,4-DMP2P but could well prepare 3,4-dimethoxyamphetamine (3,4-DMA) or 3,4-dimethoxymethamphetamine (3,4-DMMA) from it? Just use a molar equivalent amount of 3,4-DMP2P in place of 3,4-MDP2P in any synthesis of MDA/MDMA. I'm sure there are many including me who would wish to hear about the effects of those two substances. Even PIHKAL is vague about them.

PolytheneSam

I noticed. Next thing this guy will tell you he ...
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2002, 01:42:00 PM »
I noticed.  Next thing this guy will tell you he got his 3,4-DMP2P from a transformer or something like that.

http://www.geocities.com/dritte123/PSPF.html

The hardest thing to explain is the obvious

Rhodium

TMA-2
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2002, 03:28:00 PM »
Protect the ketone as an acetal, brominate to get 2-bromo-4,5-dimethoxy, react with MeONa/CuI to get 2,4,5-trimethoxy, deprotect the ketone and reductively aminate as Sam said - result is TMA-2.

RedMonn_16

My 16 cents.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2002, 07:49:00 PM »
moo is correct.

TMA-2, while interesting, is more experimentally explored than is 3,4-dimethoxy(meth)amphetamine.  Furthermore, moo's advice is less trouble than Rhodium's to follow in this particular example from a synthetic standpoint.

"Less is more."--The Tear Garden

demorol

Thanks to all of you.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2002, 05:35:00 AM »
Thanks to all of you. Rhodium, the suggested is interesting, but I would like to have some reaction details. Could someone please post them, or at least references (if there are any). I know how to get TMA-2 from 2,4,5-trimethoxy stuff, but I'm curious about getting 2,4,5-trimethoxy from 3,4-DMP2P.

Rhodium

3,4-DMP2P -> TMA-2
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2002, 05:53:00 AM »
Acetal formation - ethylene glycol (xs) + acid catalyst (cat)
Bromination - Br2 in DCM or CHCl3
Methoxylation - Sodium Methoxide (xs) and cat. CuI (may work in MeOH, otherwise in DMF)
Acetal deprotection - Aqueous acid
Amination - Hydroxylamine, followed by any common reduction

I can dig up references for you if you are actually going to perform it, otherwise I'll just leave it at that.

demorol

Please post them if you can.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2002, 10:46:00 AM »
Please post them if you can. I think I'll give it a shot. Not immediately, but in couple of months (need to get some more chems and finish studying).

Rhodium

3,4-DMP2P
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2002, 11:18:00 AM »
Okay, I'll try to put something together. How much 3,4-DMP2P do you have? 10, 100 or 500g?

demorol

I think I have around 70g of it (in 100g ...
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2002, 11:28:00 AM »
I think I have around 70g of it (in 100g container, but not full).

Rhodium

OK. I just wondered if I should focus mostly on ...
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2002, 11:54:00 AM »
OK. I just wondered if I should focus mostly on high yields or userfriendliness when selecting the procedures, 70g is a good starting amount.

PolytheneSam

2-bromo
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2002, 03:06:00 PM »
How about 2-bromo-4,5-dimethoxyamphetamine?

http://www.geocities.com/dritte123/PSPF.html

The hardest thing to explain is the obvious

Rhodium

2-Br-4,5-DMA
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2002, 03:45:00 PM »
I'd say that 2-Br-4,5-DMA would be very similar to 2-Br-4,5-MDA* - which unfortunately also is oddly unknown... I have no idea why these so simple veratrole/vanillin/eugenol-derived amphetamines hasn't even been tried out by either Shulgin or people around here...

* Reference:

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal019.shtml

pickle11

methoxylation questions
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2002, 11:30:00 PM »
could formamide be used as the solvent in the methoxylation (instead of dimethylformamide)?
is there any chance that cuprous chloride would work instead of cuprous iodide (even if in lower yield)?

cattleprodder

In Re 2 Barium's contribution to this thread.
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2002, 05:45:00 AM »
I don't know if HI and HBr are good at the demethoxylation of benzene, but I think they trash allyl and propenyl benzenes.  Polymerizations abound. 

Remember the eugenol --> safrole years around here, anyone?

"Some scientists,
Lyricists,
Poppin' Guinnesses."--The Bootlegged Fugees.

Post Script

Also, were I offered un gratis sample of either 2-bromo-3,4-dimethoxyamphetamine or 2-bromo-4,5-methylenedioxyamphetamine, I would probably politefully decline them both.--T Azurevedic One (TAO).

Barium

A phenylacetone and a propenyl/allyl benzene are ...
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2002, 07:41:00 AM »
A phenylacetone and a propenyl/allyl benzene are completly diffrent critters. I don´t think there is a chance that anything bad will happen with the ketone if the aryl ether groups are hydrolyzed. But if there is such a chance, then just make 3,4-dimethoxy-N-methylamphetamine from the ketone by any of the standard routes and then hydrolyze the methoxy groups to hydroxy.

Catalytic hydrogenation freak

cattleprodder

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2002, 08:54:00 AM »
A phenylacetone contains a highly reactive carbonyl group that loves to react with all sorts of stuff.
The usage of a protecting group on carbonyls is often necessary for many synthetic procedures.
The obvious answer to the original question posed by this thread, however, is to reductively aminate the supposed 3,4-dimethoxyphenylacetone with either ammonia or methylamine _und so weiter_ and GET HIGH.

"I guerrontee IT."--The Cajun Cook