Author Topic: Commercial GABA vs. Supplemental GABA  (Read 14706 times)

b00ked

Commercial GABA vs. Supplemental GABA
« on: October 15, 2004, 02:46:00 AM »
I have become interested in the oxidation of GABA to GBL for small personal quantities. In finding sources I have come across 2500g for 440USD 97% from a major chemical supplier which seems really high considering you can buy 111g "pure" GABA from a major supplement supplier for around 12USD. My question is why the huge price discrepancy? Is the supplemental GABA not as pure a we are lead to believe?

methyl_ethyl

Re:
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 03:17:00 AM »
You can expect to pay ~210.00 USD / Kg for 99% GABA from a reputable chemical supplier.  You can also expect to pay 12.00 USD for "pure" GABA from a health food supplier.  And while you are at it you can purchase a bar of 99.44% pure ivory soap at your local grocer for ~1.00 USD.  I guess your answer lies in the definition of "pure".  At least the GABA purchased at 210.00 / Kg comes with a certificate of analysis.  Perhaps the "Pure" GABA from the health food store comes with a certificate of "organic authenticity".  

hope this helps,

m_e

b00ked

True, however regarding purity food grades are
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 09:14:00 AM »
True, however regarding purity food grades are usually held to higher standards so I would assume that this would increase its relative price.

methyl_ethyl

HA
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 07:58:00 PM »
however regarding purity food grades are usually held to higher standards so I would assume that this would increase its relative price.

I disagree, are you suggesting that food grade GABA would be more pure than an analytical grade i.e. Sigma's 99%, and therefore more expensive?

Food Grade = lots of impurities / lower price

99% = few impurities / higher price

Just because humans consume this product does not mean it has to be highly pure.  Your body does not care if the GABA contains 20% impurities, however your reaction, analysis, column,  or what have you may be very sensitive to GABA containing 2-3% of impurities.  Does that make more sense now?

regards,

m_e