The Hive > Stimulants

5min MBRP removal

<< < (3/5) > >>

gsus:
i've heard that at RT conc. sulfuric is fine, though.

after removal with IPA, then conc. HCl treatment - some brands give a red gum, or a hard-and-difficult-to-powder cake. i suspect gakking or very acid-resistant paper.

a soaking for 2 days with crap-free 93% sulfuric under a watch-glass gives CO2 (yes, not PH3), brown sulfuric, and much cleaner mbrp with these brands. after washing and drying - soft powder. you can soak the product in more sulfuric and nothing happens.

definitely worth doing.

why not just try the otc HF, sacrifice a strikers worth, and let us know (or not) what happens?

tina_craig:
Swit_c has one of those crescent-half-moon shaped metal strainers that you hold to the edge of a pan and it has circular holes in it which allows rp and tone to pass through but not paper and such.

Drug_Phreak:
What is really the purpose of washing RP in H2SO4? All the chemicals you don't want are soluble in either RT HCl or warm HCl (excluding the glues, which acetone gets rid of). Yeah, using a fine metal screen works great for filtering RP. That way you get no to very little paper in your RP.

gsus:
this is what i was saying - water, dry acetone, IPA, and HCl don't remove everything, not with those brands. and H2SO4 does. get it? as in the weight goes down.

let's get this straight - i was talking about strips soaked in quite a bit of dried IPA and then shaken for 2 mins - not rubbing rp off and contaminating it with paper. then washed well. i am not talking about anything separable by decantation or filtration, the usual solvents, or that dissolves in 35% HCl. or anything visible dry or wet - it makes its presence known in other ways.

Drug_Phreak:
Antimony Trisulfide

CAS Registry Number:  1345-04-6
Additional Names:  Antimonous sulfide;  antimony sulfide;  needle antimony;  antimony glance
Molecular Formula:  S3Sb2
Molecular Weight:  339.72. 
Percent Composition:  S 28.32%, Sb 71.68%
Line Formula:  Sb2S3

Literature References:  Occurs in nature as the mineral stibnite.  Prepn:  Donges, Fricke, Z. Anorg. Chem. 253, 2 (1945); Gagliardi, Pilz, Z. Anal. Chem. 136, 344 (1952); Gmelin's, Antimony (8th ed.) 18B, pp 503-524 (1949).  Toxicity study:  W. R. Bradley, W. G. Fredrick, Ind. Med. 10, Ind. Hyg. Sect. 2, 15 (1941).

Properties:  Gray, lustrous, crystalline masses or grayish-black powder. Also exists in a red modification.  mp 550°.  Practically insol in water.  Sol in concd HCl with evolution of H2S; sol in solutions of the fixed alkali hydroxides.  LD i.p. in rats:  100.0 mg Sb/100 g (Bradley, Fredrick).
Melting point:  mp 550°
Toxicity data:  LD i.p. in rats:  100.0 mg Sb/100 g (Bradley, Fredrick)

Use: In pyrotechnics, Bengal fires; manuf ruby glass, matches, explosives; as a pigment in paints.

--------------------------

Iron Oxide

Description : Odorless, Red-brown To Black Crystalline Powder
Melting Point : 1,565
Vapor Pressure : 1 Mmhg @ 20 
Specific Gravity : 4.2-5.24
Water Solubility : < 0.1%
Volatility : 0%
pH : 4.0 ­ 8.0

Solvent Solubility : Soluble In Warm Hydrochloric Acid, Slightly Soluble in Sulfuric Acid.

Applications: In coating, printing ink, paint, also as coloring agent for building material, rubber, paper-making. In producing ferrites  Also used in recording tapes and pyrotechnics

--------------------------

Manganese Dioxide

CAS Registry Number:  1313-13-9
Additional Names:  Manganese binoxide;  manganese peroxide;  manganese superoxide;  black manganese oxide
Molecular Formula:  MnO2
Molecular Weight:  86.94. 
Percent Composition:  Mn 63.19%, O 36.81%

Literature References:  Occurs in nature as the mineral pyrolusite, or made artificially (pptd).  The native product is heavy, steel-gray when in lumps, black when powdered; the pptd product is a brownish-black, fine powder.  Both usually contain some Mn3O4 and some water.  When ignited evolves oxygen, leaving Mn3O4.  Lab prepn:  Moore et al., J. Am. Chem. Soc. 72, 856 (1950); Covington et al., Trans. Faraday Soc. 58, 1975 (1962).  Toxicity study:  D. J. Holbrook, Jr. et al., Environ. Health Perspect. 10, 95 (1975).  Review of use as reagent:  J. S. Pizey, Synthetic Reagents vol. 2 (John Wiley, New York, 1974) pp 143-174.

Properties:  Tetragonal crystals (rutile structure).  Insol in water, nitric or cold sulfuric acid. Slowly dissolves in cold HCl with evolution of Cl2; in presence of hydrogen peroxide or oxalic acid it dissolves in dil H2SO4 or HNO3.  Strong oxidizer; should not be heated or rubbed with organic matter or other oxidizable substances, e.g., sulfur, sulfides, phosphides, hypophosphites, etc.  LD50 orally in rats: >40 mmole/kg (Holbrook).
Toxicity data:  LD50 orally in rats: >40 mmole/kg (Holbrook)

Use: The mineral is the source of manganese and all its compds; largely used in manuf manganese steel; oxidizer; in alkaline batteries (dry cells); for making amethyst glass, decolorizing glass; painting on porcelain, faience and majolica.  The ppt is used in electrotechnics, pigments, browning gun barrels, drier for paints and varnishes, printing and dyeing textiles.

If the MBRP is washed with cold HCl that is then warmed up... left to sit for a while and decanted what would the H2SO4 be removing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version