The Hive > Stimulants

5min MBRP removal

<< < (4/5) > >>

gsus:
evolution of non-flammable, odorless gas that is not oxygen, and brown H2SO4 makes me think something organic. could some organic be on the surface of the P yet retain match usefulness? this sounds far-fetched but who knows. a glue that is attracted to P when released from the paper by a solvent?

NMR:
Honestly, what is all of this nonsense?  Just soak your strips for an hour or so in pre-dried acetone, shake vigorously, and filter, that's it, all done.

If you want to boil in water, etc., after removal from the striker backing, to further clean, by all means, do so.  Any water in the acetone during removal will just give you a soggy mess, keep it dry and simple.

tina_craig:
Disreguard
That is all swit_c ever does, tone, filter, dry and crumble through metal screen and RP always performs perfectly.

geezmeister:
If the only cleaning you do of the strikers is with acetone, you are not cleaning the strikers sufficiently to get down to red phosphorous. You are kidding yourself, and you will hit a batch that bites you in the ass.

IF you look at the reaction that takes place when you add HCl to the pile of dried raw striker powder you will immediately realize that there is a base in the strikers you do not wish to add to your reaction. HCl will neutralize this, it will also help remove the last of the glues and other problemmatic additives.

Skip the HCl soak or boil at your own risk. I do not recommend the use of H2SO4 as I have found its use helpful only in circumstances where paper fibers have contaminated the red phosphorous. I do not recommend the use of concentrated H2SO4 at all. A fine sieve will remove most of the paper fibers, and more careful removal of the red phosphorous from the striker cover will avoid the fibers in the first place.

There are some wise and time-worn posts on the preparation of mbrp on this board that should not be disregarded lightly. The fact that you may have had a successful reaction with mbrp cleaned with acetone alone is not a basis for advising others to use mbrp cleaned only with acetone. They may not be using the same strikers you use, or they may have different expectations of how clean their red phosphorous should be. And your advice could very well cause bees using other types of strikers to have failures.

If so, have you contributed to the common wisdom here?

Before you advise disregarding some of the sage advice to be found here, you might consider that your experience may not be as extensive or diverse as that of the cumulative experiences of the Hive as a whole, and that there may be a reason the accepted standard methodology contains the steps it contains.

Dry acetone alone may work on the matchbook strikers you have dealt with; unless you know that it works on all the strikers out there, are you doing other bees a favor by suggesting your results may be applied across the board to all strikers? Probably not.

Do keep that in mind when posting. I'm not saying you haven't succeeded with dry acetone alone. I am saying that the wisdom of a number of bees who have found through a thousand repeated cleanings and reactions NOT to rely on acetone alone to clean the crap from the phosphorous in the srikers, should not be lightly disregarded.

And keep in mind that the goal of the discourse in this forum is not the production of "decent" methamphetamine. It is the production of the purest meth that we can make, the best, the cleanest. Our goal is not average quality, or even good dope. Our goal is to show the way to make the real stuff.

tina_craig:
Sorry about that bees, swit_c has experimented with several types of strikers and has found a particular brand that allows this simple of a cleaning.  Statement retracted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version