Author Topic: no iodine crystals!!!  (Read 3436 times)

zorilla

no iodine crystals!!!
« on: January 31, 2004, 07:51:00 PM »
a friend of mine tried to make I2.he must have done something wrong because there are no crystals.he found this procedure on the net.
1/2 pint of tinc
stir in 1 cup of DH2O
stir in 1/2 shot glass of muratic acid
let set for 15 minutes
stir in 1/2 pint of peroxide
let sit 12 hrs

okay my friend put in the peroxide 1st then the acid...could this be his problem?

Stonium

What percent I2 is in this tincture?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »
What percent I2 is in this tincture?

zorilla

1.00% minimum titratable iodine....damn feed...
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 08:32:00 PM »
1.00% minimum titratable iodine....damn feed stores around here have removed 7 % iodine

jemma_jamerson

um corretct me
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 08:35:00 PM »
if i am wrong but dont you have to add your h20 in there to crash the crystals out after adding the muriatic-> waiting 15 minutes  and then the hydrogen peroxide.

you only need to let it settle for 15 minutes not 12 hours, beofre adding the water to crash the iodine out.

ow you dick head (your friend) tell your tweaking wanna bee friend that its the acid first then the peroxide then the water.

twedle dum and tweedle even dopier.

SHORTY

Details
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 11:10:00 PM »
What concentration of peroxide did you use?

For a 1% tincture i wouldn't add any dh2o since its already diluted so much.  1% isn't even worth the effort imho.

SQUIDIPPY

on-line
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 02:36:00 AM »
SWiSD wouldn't screw with 1% either. As a matter of fact one can order reagent grade I2 for $50.00 a half, Lb, $70.00 an Lb. You can't even buy the 7% for that kind of money.

The rules state that posting sources is not allowed, so S/D can't post his source, (and he really doesn't want to anyway)
How ever he really doesn't mind replying to P/M'S  ;)  ;)

-S/D

stir in 1/2 shot glass of muratic acid

1/2 a shot glass??? LOL!!
How many cap fulls do you suppose are in a "shot glass"??  LOL !!

Osmium

> How ever he really doesn't mind replying...
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 04:41:00 AM »
> How ever he really doesn't mind replying to P/M'S

Yay! Another source down the drain. Wonderful.

zorilla

mmmmmm
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 01:51:00 PM »
well my sdhf(stupid dick head friend)decided to find another source for iodine.pet stores was a no go and when he went to a farm store out in the boonies he was told that they were having a hard time selling iodine because people used it to make methamphetamine.guess online is the only place to get any unless he goes with 1 oz bottles at the pharmacy.