Author Topic: wanna know  (Read 3599 times)

BlackBmw1

wanna know
« on: August 10, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »
swim went to his friends place, :) and saw him in the middle of 3gE  3gI2 1.5gRP rxn with balloon 500ml flask  ;D  ;D , although swim is a newbee still, he notice the rxn was verry dark tinny bubbles, but also dried on the sides but wet in the middle , it was only the 2nd hour i think , swim didnt think much at the time had a coffee ,but then noticed the balloon was gettin bigger and bigger , swim said you better check your merchandise, by acciedent he turned the knob on the rxnin heat up thinking he was turning the coffee off , but for a about good 30 to 45 minutes befor swim noticed, the balloon was getting bigger and bigger temperture would of reached verry high ,well over 150c OZ not F US ,swim didnt know what to do laugh or cry ,at first swim said shit there goes our night of dreaming :(  ,so to speak swim told him just chuck it away ,no use its burnt black as, but it was still wet in the middle, he kept on going on with it ,swim wanted to know wether to tell him not to worry about it cause it was all burnt,i know people are going to ask questions, at this time all i know is hes been rxnin for 24 hours ,just rang him swim said it just bubbles when the drop comes from the codence balloon , its color is dark black red ,with orange spots at the top, He says swim will call him in the morning for an up date ...is it waist of time??? ::)  swim thinks so ..but then again swim is a newbee maybe he dont know it maybe can be saved.. ;D

NaXen

how much water was added?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »
how much water was added? it sounds (by your descrip) that it was on the dry side. SWIM doesnt think that the excess heat would destroy everything, but it will probably suffer... work it up anyways and post the details  :)

geezmeister

smaller flask!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »
I would have suggested using a test tube for three grams-- doing it wet. Maybe a 50 ml rb flask. At most a 125 flask  with a condenser and plenty of water.  A 500 ml flask is too large for a three gram reaction, IMHO. Then again, I guess you noticed this. "Dry reaction" is a figurative term, not a literal one. Even "dry" reactions have to have some water for a reaction to take place.

CharlieBigpotato

H2O; the missing #
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 06:34:00 AM »
ye; work it up anyway. you might bee surprised

12cheman12

yeah thats WAY to big a flask for only 3 gs...
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 11:11:00 AM »
yeah thats WAY to big a flask for only 3 gs and since you had no water the shit would of dried up and gone rock hard by now...

p2e3r4f5e6c7t8

burnt huh
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »
If it was like you said 3gE  3gI2 1.5gRP and ,so to speak swim told him just chuck it away ,no use its burnt black as, but it was still wet in the middle, he kept on going on with it ,swim wanted to know wether to tell him not to worry about it cause it was all burnt.

If it is like you mentioned it sounds like it is burnt the psuedo and it just loos black due to the I2.
Has your freind added more H20 and looked at what the color is then, And at those temp's im not suprised the your friend dident have a flask fire.
Swip would sugest adding a little more H20 and continue refluxing it for another maybee 24 hours then take the ballon of and get rid of the excess I2.
Ask your freind what the smell is like in the flask.
But then again swip wouldent fuck around making HI if he was going to do a Rp/I2/E reaction, He would go straight to a push pull method. :P

BlackBmw1

swim went pass today to see what had turned...
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 11:48:00 PM »
swim went pass today to see what had turned out , swim saw friend allready filterd Rp and I2 to another flask using Xylene through a charmin funnel ...swim said should of diluted in water first, but it was to late, now theres 2 layers top layer dark Red and bottom yellow..swim gotta say i dont know what he did all that time but sure smells nice ...in relationg to water , swim asked friend , he said he used 3ml...